Feasibility of 13+ success - a possibility for the future??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Malc

Feasibility of 13+ success - a possibility for the future??

Post by Malc »

It has been interesting to read the threads and pick up on all the mixtures of parental-pride, -protection and -misconceptions at this emotional time for families. I would be very interested to know from experienced parents about the reality of getting a child who missed out on 11+ success, but who would like to persist and make a 13+ application, into grammar school in the future. Does a child ever make a successful route from 11+ failure to securing a grammar school place at 13?
Some other thread has suggested that 11+ failure will count against a child and a grammar school would never consider them a second time. However, surely a child's progress is not concrete and some able children (with exam nerves, confidence/ maturity issues at the time of the 11+ who simply failed to rise to the challenge of the occasion) can prove themselves deserving of a grammar school place at another time. Indeed, this openness and inclusivity is what grammar schools stand for.
Has anyone any 13+ experience or any stories of securing a place beyond the start of Year 7? I would be grateful for any information.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi Malc,

I know someone who tried to get their son into KEGS with a "12+".I don't know if it actually called that.He missed out by little at 11, something like 2 or 3 places.They stayed on the list and a place or two did come up and he went and sat exams again with 24 other candidates.How they arrived at 24 I don't know.Anyway he didn't get in but obviously a couple of boys did.I think the test invoved some different elements such as a Mod foreign language.He may even have tried again a year or so later.
The family have given up now.He is doing supremely well in his large comp school.He triumphed in the national maths olympiad and wins all sorts of accolades.
He is about to take GCSEs but guess where they are hoping he is going for sixth form? KEGS of course :!:
moved

Post by moved »

SHSG had an exam this year, approximately 20 girls sat and three were offered places, two to start in October and one in January.

For the boys' schools children do get in. I think Westcliff are examining this year, they have certainly asked a Yr 8 pupil of mine to submit his levels, etc
KB

Post by KB »

Know of a boy who missed out at CRGs at 11+ but subsequently got place into year 9. The selection process is different though.
moved

Post by moved »

This is on the KEGS website under the admissions section.

Is it true that the school runs a waiting list for those boys who are not offered a place?

Yes, parents are asked to complete a post 11+ application form to place their son on a waiting list. If a vacancy does become available, everyone on the waiting list is tested and the school will select the best performing student.

Once a boy is placed on the waiting list his name will remain there until the end of Year 11.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now