Sir Thomas Rich's verses The Crypt

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
72purples

Sir Thomas Rich's verses The Crypt

Post by 72purples »

Hi lovely people. Son is not sure which school he would prefer (results pending).
Can anyone give me some constructive good/bad points please?
Thanks
kenyancowgirl

Re: Sir Thomas Rich's verses The Crypt

Post by kenyancowgirl »

What did you like/dislike about each of them when you went to look round?

What does your son like/dislike about each of them?

Which one met his interests best?

I am of course assuming that you have already looked round each of them....!
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Obviously Tommies is a boys school, Crypt will be mixed.
Mrsdevonshire

Post by Mrsdevonshire »

Have you considered benefits or otherwise of co-ed v single sex education?

Mine are both single sex and whilst I wouldn't have chosen it - went for nearest schools (Marling and SHS) I can really see the benefits. Especially for boys who traditionally don't do as well as girls at GCSE.

Might be a factor for you to consider?

Will he have any friends at either is another thought?

Mrs D
cazien

Post by cazien »

Look at the curriculum - does one provide a subject he really wants to do? Schools are cutting back esp. in the Languages dept.

Crypt restrict number of GCSE applications to 9 subjects (10 if Further Maths is taken).

Does he want to go to after school clubs?

Which will he find easier to travel to?

Which school will you find easier to get to for evening events?

Both will have open days/evenings soon - go to them again (STR is 26 September and Crypt is 11 October, I believe).

It's a difficult one to answer as each have good/bad points, but both my DS's had an "instinct" on the tours as to which school they preferred. Maybe your DS will on another visit.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I would advise like everyone else and visit as your son and yourself will get a feel for which you prefer. My DS preferred STR over Crypt immediately and my daughter was the same with Ribston and HSFG.

All I can say is that Mr Morgan is trying hard not to reduce the number of subjects on offer and the average number of GCSEs taken is 10 along with half for RS and the possibility to do extras.

My DS says the biggest downer is that STR looks like IKEA!
72purples

Post by 72purples »

Thank you for all your answers.
Yes we have looked around both schools, at the start he was more for STR but is slowly changing towards The Crypt.
As he has to travel quite a distance, the location is not such an issue.
He likes the fact that girls are joining Crypt, the co-ed is not a problem for me.
I have already picked up the open day dates, to revisit the schools. I think these next visits will be more relevant, as how can a 9 year old really know??
Good luck to everyone awaiting results. :?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Firstly, you may find the 11+ outcome dictates the choice here as the score required for STR has generally been a fair bit higher than for Crypt. If he qualifies for both, then surely it will come down to convenience as much as anything else - the schools aren't close together, so the journey would be very different. This makes a difference not only on regular school days but for events, parents' evenings, trips etc.

For us it was two things - an instant feeling that STR was 'right' (OH visited and texted me saying 'can I come to this school?!') and distance. We chose a non-grammar over Crypt on the CAF (even if you qualify for STR you don't know what the cut off will be) as the journey from where we live (N of Cheltenham) was one we wouldn't have wanted our sons to make daily. I wouldn't personally take a huge amount of notice of what a 9 year old says - you are the parent who will have to navigate the logistics of this for at least 5 years, so be strong and take the decision yourself. :)
ash14

Post by ash14 »

My son is at the Crypt school and has just started Year 8 and he loves it. He makes the journey from Swindon with a numerous others kids for the four Gloucester based Grammar schools. The pastoral care has been amazing. The school are quick to pick up on issues and dealing with them. The clubs are good both Lunch times and after school and the school lunches are the best (according to my son). I am awaiting the results for my dd for entry next year and she is swayed towards the Crypt over the girls school too.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Both schools are great schools, the choice was made for us with test scores and Crypt has been my son's school for the past 5 years. It has been a lovely school for him and pastoral care has excellent. One thing worth knowing is you will be encouraged to participate in a scheme to purchase an ipad or a laptop for use at the school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now