Y6's interested in Crypt.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Watermelon8

Re: Y6's interested in Crypt.

Post by Watermelon8 »

cazien wrote:Watermelon8 - Why do you think "You can’t appeal if you’re that far off...however bright the child"? Yes you can! Rankings have no significance during an appeal. DD's friend didn't qualify for any the GS's - her parents appealed and achieved a place at HSFG. In year testing and staying on the waiting list is a way in later on. There is always movement in every year group.

Stroudydad wrote "Surely if they really were trying to promote that they could change their entrance criteria to reflect that... this year, with the larger PAN and change to coed would have been the perfect opportunity..."

How do we know they haven't? :wink: Seriously though, I am not sure how they would go about it, but their intention is certainly going down the road of "we want locals".

It was my understanding that if you didn’t pass at all then unless there were really specific circumstances why (rather than my ds/dd was totally underprepared as we did nothing!) then there was not an option to appeal??!?! I’ve never gone thru appeal so was just going on hearsay.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Technically you can't pass or fail CEM. Not in Glos or Warks. In Bucks you have to get a minimum of 121, but not in Glos/Warks - here they rank everyone according to their score.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Technically you can't pass or fail CEM. Not in Glos or Warks. In Bucks you have to get a minimum of 121, but not in Glos/Warks - here they rank everyone according to their score.
True. I guess Glos parents think/say they've failed/not passed if they've missed the 'cut' for the school that takes the lowest ranking....altho technically they've not actually failed! (Hate the word fail....they certainly aren't failures if they don't get a GS place but it often feels like it here :( )
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Technically you can't pass or fail CEM. Not in Glos or Warks. In Bucks you have to get a minimum of 121, but not in Glos/Warks - here they rank everyone according to their score.
Not strictly true,
Yes everyone gets ranked, but only a certain ranking number are deemed to have 'achieved a qualifying score' below that student would need to appeal on non qualification..
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Not true in Warks...we have automatic qualifying score (AQS)....however you can get offered a place below this if you are next highest on the list in rank. There is officially no pass or fail with CEM...it might be non qualification for the school but it is not a fail of the test! Semantics, I know, but important nontheless!
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

stroudydad wrote:
Not strictly true,
Yes everyone gets ranked, but only a certain ranking number are deemed to have 'achieved a qualifying score' below that student would need to appeal on non qualification..
You phrased it much better than me Stroudydad but that’s what I initially meant! & you’d need a good case. Friends who just did no prep on moral grounds with their dcs didn’t stand a chance sadly as their bright children did not achieve qualifying scores. Just weren’t up to speed time management wise, had little experience of actual papers & techniques so at a major disadvantage as just ran out of time & left lots blank. They are now scraping to pay for indie fees (despite academic scholarships) :(
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Appeals have to consider alternative academic evidence...where you are in the ranking is not taken into account at appeals..So if you have got good reasons for wanting Crypt for your child, have good alternative evidence and can put up with the stress then it may be worth considering. My son failed pretty badly under the old test..and yet .he will do his GCSEs at Crypt this year...it does happen...
Jaethel

Post by Jaethel »

I don't know if this will turn out to be the case, but it does sound like lots of girls shared with Crypt, were ranked but have decided not to put them as 1st choice - so therefore HSFG, Ribston and SHS won't have to go further down their rankings than last year. Which is a bore for us with dd very twilight for SHS. I was counting on a few extra girls going to the Crypt!
cazien

Post by cazien »

Jaethel wrote:I don't know if this will turn out to be the case, but it does sound like lots of girls shared with Crypt, were ranked but have decided not to put them as 1st choice - so therefore HSFG, Ribston and SHS won't have to go further down their rankings than last year. Which is a bore for us with dd very twilight for SHS. I was counting on a few extra girls going to the Crypt!
It will also depend on how many girls achieve a place at Pates as well.

Looking at previous postings they state:
"Nearly 2500 candidates registered for 2017 test says my email from Gloucestershire Grammars".

"Girls - 1083 sat the test"

"Approx 800 girls shared results with Ribston, 789 girls shared results with Stroud and High School for Girls didn't say...

Crypt - 1819 students shared results with Crypt".
This should mean over 600 did not share with Crypt, who could all have acheived a ranking at another school. Fingers crossed for you that they are mostly all boys as the boys should have outnumbered the girls if in total 2500 sat the test and 1083 were girls.

Last year on allocations day, 371 was the lowest offered a place then after all the 'shuffling' rank 402 were offered a place at SHS..

Good luck.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I'm intrigued as to why 300 more boys than girls would have sat the test (presumably both physically in county and those shut oi elsewhere but asking to share with one or more Gloucestershire grammar schools)? Surely it is parents of girls who would reckon that their DC had a better chance this year, with one of the three boys-only schools going co-ed? Was this birth cohort very skewed?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now