Mock Test Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

smorgasbord

Mock Test Scores

Post by smorgasbord »

My son recently sat a mock test with Philip McMahon tutors (he's not tutored by them).

65 took the exam and he was ranked 30th, with 68%.

Is this very low? His tutor thought he would be in the top quarter, so should I be worried?

Thanks.
stroudydad

Re: Mock Test Scores

Post by stroudydad »

I personally don’t think you can take too much heed in either the scores, or the rankings, and do find it a little odd that your tutor would say they will be within the top quarter.
You have no info about the the other students in this cohort so how can any judgement be made? Similarly you have no idea how this mock will compare to the real test.
For me, the benefit of a moch is in the process not the result.
conroyiwhiwhu

Post by conroyiwhiwhu »

smorgasbord wrote:My son recently sat a mock test with Philip McMahon tutors (he's not tutored by them).

65 took the exam and he was ranked 30th, with 68%.

Is this very low? His tutor thought he would be in the top quarter, so should I be worried?

Thanks.
I woukd take the feedback serious. DC did one of these and it became clear how not getting a question in specific area can make difference.if others get them. It's practice and your dc need to show up when it matters the most.
PrinceOfPython

Post by PrinceOfPython »

Philip's kids tend to be very high achieving - most of mine had him as a tutor, and all are in grammars (STRS and HSFG) and one of them was never in the top 50%.

If he has done all the prep, I suspect he will be fine (unless it's Pates at all costs...).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now