Volume of homework?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loobylou

Re: Volume of homework?

Post by loobylou »

steppemum wrote:I know the family well, and the dd was certainly very loaded with homework.
BUT she is a perfectionist and stresses a lot, so i wonder if at times she is loading herself up.
She certainly comes home with several pieces to be done every night.

She is very bright, high achiever. As I said, I wonder if at times she is loading up - so a teacher saying - if you are interested look at.... she may take as essential.

I'm not from your area and know nothing about the schools you mentioned, but this reminds me of a friend's dd when she started secondary school with my dd. We still met at the primary school gate every day and other parents who were wanting the same secondary school would ask us about homework and other things - and she would say that her dd was doing 4+ hours a night every night and they had stopped going out at weekends because she was doing 8 hours on a Sunday... And I'd be saying "well mine's doing the 3 X 20 minutes that's been recommended at the most".
I still can't explain what her dd was doing so that time (she did her homework in her room with her for closed and I'm not sure she wasn't watching TV etc too) but certainly anyone talking only to her would have got a very different picture from our reality.
Can’tthinkofone

Post by Can’tthinkofone »

I have a dd in year 8 at HSFG.

She is sporty and does activities after school and weekends. Homework has been manageable. Initially in year 7, I would go through planner with her so she could get used to thinking/planning ahead if she had a busy week/weekend of sport. As the year progressed she could do this herself.

Also initially in year 7 they take too long to do homework - perfectionism? confidence? But during the year they get much better at just getting it down and almost doing the minimum needed to keep the teacher happy. :D
monkeypops

Post by monkeypops »

Our DD has just started at Ribston. The homework is frequent but the length of time they have to complete it varies hugely. Some pieces within a day or two, others up to a fortnight to complete. If she staggers it carefully there's never more than two or so in an evening, also some evenings with none! Seems to be going well so far, touch wood. Definitely the best choice she/we ever made!
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Our DD has just started at SHS. There's a homework timetable and a wall to see what has actually been set. Experience so far is that there isn't always something set even when its on the timetable. It has usually come with a few days to complete upto a couple of weeks (never for next day so far). Some of it has just been 'quick' stick in book / finish something off, a couple of others have been more involved. The more involved pieces have been a bit stressful so far as DD has wanted to try her best and took hours over them....more down to her than the school though.

This is our experience but we are only 2 weeks in! Similarly when I asked our 'tour guides' no-one gave me the impression there was mountains of it!

DD is quite into all the clubs so doing homework at lunch time isn't happening though....but is loving it:)

So far so good...
inkycat

Post by inkycat »

DS is in year 8 at Marling and the volume of homework has not been a problem, despite him doing essentially nothing at primary other than reading. Homework is now shown on edulink, so you can see what is due and when. The only negative thing for him with regards to homework has been the accelerated reader quizzes.
PrinceOfPython

Post by PrinceOfPython »

Son at Pates, now in Year 12, had barely any homework all the way through.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

inkycat wrote:DS is in year 8 at Marling and the volume of homework has not been a problem, despite him doing essentially nothing at primary other than reading. Homework is now shown on edulink, so you can see what is due and when. The only negative thing for him with regards to homework has been the accelerated reader quizzes.
My DS disliked the accelerated reader programme. The books he wanted to read weren't on the system and if they were he found the test stopped him enjoying the books. This year (10) they have a reading list and have to do some kind of report on the book, and he is brimming with enthusiasm to read their suggestions.
Katiejane

Post by Katiejane »

Pates issue a homework timetable and there is a maximum of 2 pieces a night. I think it can be partly luck of the draw as to whether particular teachers set homework or not, as my son, who is in year 9 at Pates got practically no homework in year 7, while my daughter who has just started there gets set homework quite frequently, but it is often very quick to do (eg just finishing a bit of work not completed in class time, taking only about 5 minutes).
techiedad

Post by techiedad »

HSFG - I think the homework is excessive. Really ramps up in year 9, DD was regularly up until 10/11pm doing it and sometimes later than that. New headmistress has just put a cap on homework I believe, now only (!) a max of 17 pieces per week.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

techiedad wrote:HSFG - I think the homework is excessive. Really ramps up in year 9, DD was regularly up until 10/11pm doing it and sometimes later than that. New headmistress has just put a cap on homework I believe, now only (!) a max of 17 pieces per week.
Wow...just wow! :shock: