Results email errors

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stroudydad

Re: Results email errors

Post by stroudydad »

It’s easy for me to say as I’m sat here not contemplating him going anyway, but after the past two years I’m not sure I would trust them with my child’s education anyway.. I would worry about any decisions made that may affect my child..
RedMaple

Post by RedMaple »

I really don’t want to go through the whole appeal process if my son doesn’t get allocated a place at his chosen grammar school so can somebody tell me if I ask for reconsideration and want to go on a waiting list will I have to go through an appeal to do this?
Hi Mona

If your child has achieved a qualifying rank but does not get a place at their chosen GS, then you can ask for reconsideration and to go on the WL - you don't need to appeal to do this.

However if your child does not get a qualifying rank, you then appeal if you think that she/he is capable of going there (the appeal basis is non-qualification and sometimes also oversubscription). If you are on the WL, you can also appeal (the basis for this is oversubscription). There is lots of useful information on appeals too on this site.
MonaB

Post by MonaB »

RedMaple wrote:
I really don’t want to go through the whole appeal process if my son doesn’t get allocated a place at his chosen grammar school so can somebody tell me if I ask for reconsideration and want to go on a waiting list will I have to go through an appeal to do this?
Hi Mona

If your child has achieved a qualifying rank but does not get a place at their chosen GS, then you can ask for reconsideration and to go on the WL - you don't need to appeal to do this.

However if your child does not get a qualifying rank, you then appeal if you think that she/he is capable of going there (the appeal basis is non-qualification and sometimes also oversubscription). If you are on the WL, you can also appeal (the basis for this is oversubscription). There is lots of useful information on appeals too on this site.
Thank you for replying. I’m glad to hear this as from everything I’ve read about appeals it’s something I don’t think I’m capable of doing myself. So glad this is the last time I’ll have to go through the whole 11+ process! Just need to get through the next few months now.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Re the pupil premium question Amber asked about - I'm only going on what I read in this thread.

At 11:12 Ellen-Jane said:
As I put on another thread, Pate's take PP into account when ranking qualified pupils. If 225 or 230 are qualified, those within that 230 with PP qualification, (provided to the schools before the test is sat) will be ranked first, ie 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc before the rest of the 230 are ranked. This is in their admissions policy.
At 12:52 Sherwood2 said:
I've just been told by SHS admissions that all PP students with a qualifying rank have been put within the 150 PAN. On the assumption that Marling and HSFG have taken the same approach, that suggests that the problem is solely a Crypt one and that no other schools will now be amending their rankings. Given the last few days' turmoil, though, I know that this may be an overly optimistic assumption...
At 1.01 hmc21 said:
With Marling, PP children who got the qualifying ranking have been positioned in the top 150. I have had the conversations on the phone.
The only way of making sense of the scores is if Marling, SHS and HSFG put qualifying pupil premium children direct into the 150. I've checked all of their admissions policies, and qualifying pp children are admitted ahead of others, regardless of ranking (this is limited to 30 children for HSFG). Strictly speaking, I'm not convinced all of the admissions policies give any hint that pp children would automatically be put into the top 150, but it makes sense to do so.

STRS also prioritises qualifying pp children over other qualifying children. Ribston does not. Crypt use it as a tie-breaker.
RedMaple

Post by RedMaple »

Thank you for replying. I’m glad to hear this as from everything I’ve read about appeals it’s something I don’t think I’m capable of doing myself. So glad this is the last time I’ll have to go through the whole 11+ process! Just need to get through the next few months now.
No problem. I submitted appeal paperwork for two schools last year to cover all bases but in the end did not have to go to appeal as DS got a place from the WL. I found even preparing quite difficult although there were some lovely and helpful people on here and was mightily relieved that I didn't have to. I really feel for you all with this situation and hope it works out for you - we waited until May for the place and it was difficult waiting but the months do pass by. Best of luck!
Michael

Post by Michael »

I've been reading this forum for a week or so to try and digest, so thought I'd share my Son's Rank.
Friday Ranked 487. (STR 264)
Tuesday Ranked 437.
Feel so sad for the Children and Parents that this has affected.
himummy

Post by himummy »

After doing some digging and email back and forth with Crypt .I also recieved a davasted news on DD2 from qualified to not qualified with deepest sympathy . I asked them to clarify and be more specific before I can explain to a poor child. They couldn't response quickly enough state that the error on their spreadsheets has put PP on the top lists. I argued them back that was not the case because we are not PP they replied back saying that they can not be more specific than given but due to computer error bla bla bla. At that point i started to give up to be fair. I dont think we can get a full explaination. The emotion over the past few days was unbearable to be honest but lets just hope this will never ever happen again . We are now come to the conclusion to stick with our local comp instead.

Ps. This might clarify to all GS : I also contacted Ribston , SHS , and HSFG if theres rank/scored has change or error like Crypt they are all confirmed that their results are correct . So to all GS parents you can rest assured. Good luck to everyone x
SteppeFox

Post by SteppeFox »

himummy, my sincere sympathy with your situation. I had noticed your situation in my spreadsheet and already feared that dd2 may have lost out. I'm so sad for her that she had to go through such a roller coaster ride especially with a twin that had comfortably qualified (it's hard enough in our family with the 3rd having to live up to the expectations after the first 2 had gone to grammars).
Hopefully dd2 will ultimately be happy at the local comp.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

himummy, that sounds awful. Perhaps the school accidentally treated you as PP or LAC. Did your other dd also have her score adjusted?
Arcticfox

Post by Arcticfox »

For info any child who has been eligible for free school meals at any point in the previous 6 years, is classed as pupil premium. Really sorry for you and daughter. Just horrible x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now