Results email errors

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cup of tea

Re: Results email errors

Post by Cup of tea »

DC17C wrote:
...but it really does not make Crypt a bad school or the head and admin staff terrible people. My own experience with the staff is that they genuinely care about the young people at the school and will be hugely disappointed that this has happened after last year.

How you pick up the pieces is the challenge.... all I know is that kids will be very upset and need support to pick themselves up from this. They need to know this is an awful mistake and have parents support them to cope with it. I guess for some it will be more of an issue than others. Horrible situation all round... :?

This....totally.

I also feel for the administrative person if it was a data mishandling error. How terrible must they be feeling? We all make mistakes. Inflammatory speech isn't going to help anyone now. Hoping that all involved will either have another GS or comp choice for the CAF.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Cup of tea wrote: I also feel for the administrative person if it was a data mishandling error. How terrible must they be feeling? We all make mistakes. Inflammatory speech isn't going to help anyone now. Hoping that all involved will either have another GS or comp choice for the CAF.

But some don’t...

And as they say once is unlucky, twice careless. I’m lucky, this year it wasn’t a problem for my DC, but last year Crypt would have been our second choice..
That’s two years I have been mucked about..
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

Totally second what DC17C has said, it doesn't make Crypt a bad school. My DS left in the Summer and we have nothing but praise for all the staff there, he is one of Crypt's real success stories. I see that there were problems with the Tommies emails too and it is extremely distressing for those families affected (its stressful enough anyway). It perhaps demonstrates what a nightmare process the whole 11+ system is but it certainly doesn't make Crypt a bad school.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

scaredycat wrote:Totally second what DC17C has said, it doesn't make Crypt a bad school. My DS left in the Summer and we have nothing but praise for all the staff there, he is one of Crypt's real success stories. I see that there were problems with the Tommies emails too and it is extremely distressing for those families affected (its stressful enough anyway). It perhaps demonstrates what a nightmare process the whole 11+ system is but it certainly doesn't make Crypt a bad school.
That is probably the bigger thing..the whole system is fraught with stress, horrible and creates this whole winners and losers situation...I cannot help wanting to support my kids education as much as anyone else on here and have had to navigate the whole mess of it including the stress of an appeal which totally messed me up for a while so goodness knows what it is doing for others out there...
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

Appeal veteran here so I totally agree with you!
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

scaredycat wrote:Totally second what DC17C has said, it doesn't make Crypt a bad school. My DS left in the Summer and we have nothing but praise for all the staff there, he is one of Crypt's real success stories. I see that there were problems with the Tommies emails too and it is extremely distressing for those families affected (its stressful enough anyway). It perhaps demonstrates what a nightmare process the whole 11+ system is but it certainly doesn't make Crypt a bad school.
People & technology make mistakes sadly. Crypt is a fantastic school, very caring & friendly staff & it’s unfair & untrue to suggest the school can’t be trusted with DC’s education! Whoever is responsible must feel absolutely awful :(
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Crypt is a great school, and not the only school to have conflated test rank with admissions criteria this year - it’s just that Crypt’s admissions criteria is more complex which is why it went wrong.

I really feel for the families who’ve had hopes raised and dashed. Having said that, I think we should give Crypt a break here - I’m sure it’s been pretty torrid for the admissions staff there over the last 18 months, let alone this week.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I’m sorry but I disagree.
I pretty sure after the chaos of last year I would have made absolutely sure my school was squeaky clean this time round - But I accept that mistakes are made. What I won’t accept however is the shoddy way both last year and this year have been dealt with. Sorry, but that does indicate poor decision making by the leadership. And yes I am angry about this, for those that were messed about.
jearund

Post by jearund »

I have one anomaly left on my spreadsheet! I'm still puzzled by Himummy's DD1's rank.

Pates 521, Crypt 166 (which is in the range likely to have changed but I haven't seen an update), Top 150 for SHS and HSFG but 206 for Ribston. Just focussing on the last 3 results, let's compare with:

Amiliya: SHS 163 Ribston 166 HSFG 177
Sann27: SHS 186 Ribston 184 HSFG 198 (and amended Crypt score of 422)

As you can see, it does not make sense that Himummy's DD1 could be in the Top 150 for SHS and HSFG when she scored lower for Ribston than both of these. Yet Himummy has received confirmation from all 3 girls' schools that the rankings are correct.

The only explanation is that GCC has Himummy's DD1 listed as PP. But Himummy has already said she is NOT PP, so I think there may have been an error. Based on this her true Crypt ranking should be below 422 and her rankings for SHS and HSFG should be closer to her Ribston ranking of 206.

Unless anyone else can see anything I've missed? Lysander?
SteppeFox

Post by SteppeFox »

jearund wrote:I have one anomaly left on my spreadsheet! I'm still puzzled by Himummy's DD1's rank.

Pates 521, Crypt 166 (which is in the range likely to have changed but I haven't seen an update), Top 150 for SHS and HSFG but 206 for Ribston. Just focussing on the last 3 results, let's compare with:

Amiliya: SHS 163 Ribston 166 HSFG 177
Sann27: SHS 186 Ribston 184 HSFG 198 (and amended Crypt score of 422)

As you can see, it does not make sense that Himummy's DD1 could be in the Top 150 for SHS and HSFG when she scored lower for Ribston than both of these. Yet Himummy has received confirmation from all 3 girls' schools that the rankings are correct.

The only explanation is that GCC has Himummy's DD1 listed as PP. But Himummy has already said she is NOT PP, so I think there may have been an error. Based on this her true Crypt ranking should be below 422 and her rankings for SHS and HSFG should be closer to her Ribston ranking of 206.

Unless anyone else can see anything I've missed? Lysander?
himummy DD1 must still fall into a special category even though himummy has said that they are not PP (but as someone else said if they have received free school meals in the last 6 years, then they are still PP and this information may have been automatically processed by the Gloucestershire system). They could also fall in another special category: looked after children or staff's children.
The only other explanation I can come up with, would be if they had been put in with the special categories because they are twins, but why? (and why have all gramars done that?) -> very unlikely.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now