Crypt over STR?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Watermelon8

Re: Crypt over STR?

Post by Watermelon8 »

Amber wrote:This view won't be popular, but I think the parents should decide where a 10 year old is going to go to school, not the child. They are the ones who have to organise the travelling; they are the ones who can see the features of a school they believe to be important; a child cannot make a mature and informed decision on which is best. By 16, I think children should be able to choose a sixth form, with guidance, but I think 10 is too young to have the responsibility for this decision. If you prefer Crypt, and it fits with your family, then choose Crypt. If you prefer STR and it fits with your family, choose that. Take the decision off your child's shoulders - if you think a different school would be better, then sit him down and tell him kindly but firmly why. Be the parent.

Other opinions are available.
For once, I totally agree with you :roll: :lol:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Watermelon8 wrote:
Amber wrote:This view won't be popular, but I think the parents should decide where a 10 year old is going to go to school, not the child. They are the ones who have to organise the travelling; they are the ones who can see the features of a school they believe to be important; a child cannot make a mature and informed decision on which is best. By 16, I think children should be able to choose a sixth form, with guidance, but I think 10 is too young to have the responsibility for this decision. If you prefer Crypt, and it fits with your family, then choose Crypt. If you prefer STR and it fits with your family, choose that. Take the decision off your child's shoulders - if you think a different school would be better, then sit him down and tell him kindly but firmly why. Be the parent.

Do you not agree with me then? :-)
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

stroudydad wrote:
Watermelon8 wrote:

Do you not agree with me then? :-)
I do :shock: :lol: :shock:
starcrazy

Post by starcrazy »

Having looked around all the grammars, we were sure our son would do well at any of them. So when it came down to choosing which to put on the CAF, we talked about the logistics of getting to each one, and visited his first preference again. That cemented his preference (incidentally the opposite to yours - we live nearer The Crypt but he’s happy to get the bus to STR) and so we didn’t see any reason to not be guided by that.
starcrazy

Post by starcrazy »

I should add, we did talk him out of Marling because it would involve bus, train and walk and we just didn’t consider the journey to be worth it when he had more local options. Took a bit of doing because having driven past it in the fog, he thought it looked suitably like Hogwarts and was quite enamoured - so goes to show that sometimes ten year olds don’t have a sensible basis on which they’re making a decision!
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

starcrazy wrote:Having looked around all the grammars, we were sure our son would do well at any of them. So when it came down to choosing which to put on the CAF, we talked about the logistics of getting to each one, and visited his first preference again. That cemented his preference (incidentally the opposite to yours - we live nearer The Crypt but he’s happy to get the bus to STR) and so we didn’t see any reason to not be guided by that.
Mine could’ve walked to Tommies but we decided on a bus trip (not a long one) to Crypt. As long as you & your child are happy with the arrangements then that’s all that matters. I do agree with travel arrangements not hindering you taking a full role in the life of the school tho. But then if I lived in Swindon for example & a Glos GS was the best option for my DC, would I take it......?? Possibly, we all just want the best for our DC.

I never looked round SHS or Marling due to distance but everyone I know who has said they loved how Marling looked like Hogwarts lol
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Watermelon8 wrote:
starcrazy wrote:Having looked around all the grammars, we were sure our son would do well at any of them. So when it came down to choosing which to put on the CAF, we talked about the logistics of getting to each one, and visited his first preference again. That cemented his preference (incidentally the opposite to yours - we live nearer The Crypt but he’s happy to get the bus to STR) and so we didn’t see any reason to not be guided by that.
Mine could’ve walked to Tommies but we decided on a bus trip (not a long one) to Crypt. As long as you & your child are happy with the arrangements then that’s all that matters. I do agree with travel arrangements not hindering you taking a full role in the life of the school tho. But then if I lived in Swindon for example & a Glos GS was the best option for my DC, would I take it......?? Possibly, we all just want the best for our DC.

I never looked round SHS or Marling due to distance but everyone I know who has said they loved how Marling looked like Hogwarts lol
Shs looks beautiful in summer..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now