Grammar school for an arty girl???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Glos18

Grammar school for an arty girl???

Post by Glos18 »

With DS awaiting allocation day in a couple of weeks, I have been pondering whether DD (currently year 4) is grammar school material or not. Both DH and I are more sciency, as is our DS. He is passionate about learning, loves science and maths but has SpLD so we were thrilled that he managed to pass his 11+ as he loved the idea of going to grammar school where he might find boys with the same interests as him.
DD is the complete opposite of DS. She virtually came out of the womb being able to read and write. Spellings seem to be a doddle and she works speedily. Her passions lie in the arts (writing, art, music, dancing etc) and she would like to be a writer when older. However, she seems to have v little interest in learning about the world, something that I loved. She likes to work within her comfort zone, so will declare that she doesn't like certain subjects, when really it is because she finds them harder. School are perfectly happy with her, although I think they do let her drift as she is doing 'fine'.

Anyway, what was it about your DD that made you think they were grammar school material? Are they good places for more arty girls? Many thanks for your thoughts!
starcrazy

Re: Grammar school for an arty girl???

Post by starcrazy »

My daughter is also Y4, she wants to sit the 11+ because she went to HSFG for a science day with school and enjoyed it. Also because her brother sat and of course she is determined that she will follow him.
We haven’t looked around any girls schools yet, but locally it seems that Ribston is perceived as more arts focused. Whether that’s true in practice I don’t know, I’ve also seen people say that HSFG has a niche for everyone.
I’d say that there’s plenty of room in core subjects for more arts inclined children within the selective system - English, languages etc and if you think she’ll flourish in that environment why not let her give it a go?
Flash

Post by Flash »

My DD is very arty. She is year 11 Denmark Road and has excelled in art and music. She choreographed house dance this week. Looking around schools 5 years ago she wanted to go to Ribston because of the dance studio etc, but the journey was no good. She's loved every minute at Denmark Road. I'd say if your DD is naturally bright go for it!
jearund

Post by jearund »

My DD is in Year 7 at Ribston and loving it. She is excelling at dance (which I knew she'd enjoy) and they've just held tryouts for a cheer club at school which she's got into. She was always arty and creative and we knew instantly that Ribston was the school for her when we went to the open day. In terms of how we knew she was grammar school standard - she was one of the top few in her class and our local secondary school choices weren't great so we thought it was a good option if she did well enough on the test. She was also prepared to put in the work to prepare for the test and in fact did much better than we had expected, getting a good enough score for all except Pates. This year it's DS's turn. He is top of his form along with another child who has his heart set on Pates. He loves maths and science and has always had a very enquiring mind - he's a deep thinker! But he also has a wonderful imagination and his vocabulary is amazing! His teachers always tell us how much they enjoy reading his written work. So I have always thought he would be well suited to grammar school, where he will be surrounded by other bright children and will be challenged. I just hope he can perform on the day as well as I know he is capable of!
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

Thanks all. We'll see what she thinks at the open evenings in the autumn x
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I can only say kids constantly surprise you...my DD went to Ribston...in lower years was very artsy did dance etc then suddenly really got into science and computing and is studying maths, psychology and computer science at A level...I never expected she would pick electronics and computing for degree subjects....I am sure her creativity will help so Id say Yr4 is too young to predict what they might do later...and the grammars are great at encouraging girls to do STEM subjects humanities or the arts...or a spread of subjects...
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

If you think she's capable, go for it.

My DD is at SHS & loving it. There's lots going on whether that's arts or sciences or sport...

I think my DD is enjoying the English more so in yr 7 than at primary because they're doing creative writing & studying some good texts rather than just grammar for SATS. There's lots of music - whether individual or in choirs / orchestras etc, and opportunities for drama too. Vast choice of clubs at lunchtime too.

Best of luck.
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

My DD is in yr 11 at Pates, and very arty (mainly drama & art - not so much music & dancing). She has thrived there in these subjects and will take them for A level next year. Even though Pate's is considered a more 'sciencey' school, it does have very strong disciplines in the creative subjects too - and brilliant teachers (in our DD's and my opinion!). Also, the inter-school house competitions are one of its great strengths, and there is House Dance, Music, Art & Drama for each year group to join in with. Plus the numerous clubs etc. DD also helps run the drama clubs for the younger years which has only strengthened her love of the subject and confidence in it.

I am aware that Ribston is considered a very arty school - particularly in the area of dance, so best thing would be to visit them all and let your DD see which ones she can see herself at. That was what clinched it for our DCs, especially in the hard summer months when they didn't enjoy the 11+ practice - was the carrot that kept them going!

All the best!