SHS starters 2021

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Octsmum

Re: SHS starters 2021

Post by Octsmum »

oxford_girl wrote:Hi,

Just a quick question on the uniform list.
Would the year 7 girls need both grey skirts and grey trousers?
Also as part of PE, do they all compulsorily require football boots and shin pads or only if they belong to the respective clubs/activity?

Many thanks
Hi

Girls don't need both skirts and trousers - its a choice whichever more comfortable in (although most girls wear skirts). There are 2 different skirts to choose from too.

They all do football, its not just case if they do football club. However, I would say that football boot use is quite limited...I don't think they tend to do football until after the half term and not for very long at that...so i wouldn't rush to buy for the start of term / consider second hand....my DD had 2 pairs of hardly worn football boots donated to the uniform shop. But your DD maybe more sporty than mine!

Hope that helps.
Snoopy

Post by Snoopy »

Glos18 wrote:Hi Snoopy. My DD is starting SHS in September and will be travelling from Cheltenham on the minibus. How about you?
I’ve booked DD on the minibus that goes from Leckhampton. Just need to work out how to get her to Leckhampton now as I live in Fairview!
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

Snoopy - Good to hear about another year 7 coming from Cheltenham. DD and her friend will both be on the minibus too, so there will be at least 3 of them. Graham seemed open to adding another stop if there was enough demand, so worth asking if you haven't already.
Snoopy

Post by Snoopy »

Glos18 wrote:Snoopy - Good to hear about another year 7 coming from Cheltenham. DD and her friend will both be on the minibus too, so there will be at least 3 of them. Graham seemed open to adding another stop if there was enough demand, so worth asking if you haven't already.
Yes, I’m glad there are other Y7s going from Cheltenham as my DD is the only one going to SHS from her school.
I’ll give Graham a ring about an additional stop closer to home. I work in Leckhampton so some days I could get her to the minibus easily but other days will be tricky!
Thanks
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

I've been talking to Graham about the bus from where I am. He said there were enquiries and definites. I don't know how he differentiates between the two?

Got a couple of emails recently, booked our slot to get Uniform and just looking at the online tasks to do for July 2nd. Quite a bit of work really, just going to have to do my best not to suggest how she does them!
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

Just booked our uniform appointment for June. I think we will do one online task per weekend so it doesn't get too arduous. I will try my best not to interfere!
clarcats

Post by clarcats »

oxford_girl wrote:Hi,

Just a quick question on the uniform list.
Would the year 7 girls need both grey skirts and grey trousers?
Also as part of PE, do they all compulsorily require football boots and shin pads or only if they belong to the respective clubs/activity?

Many thanks

Skirts or trousers
They'll need football boots and shin pads at some point when they do football as part of their PE curriculum. Unless your daughter plans to play lots of football try 2nd hand or a cheaper variety (sports direct or Nike outlet in Quays in Gloucester) as they'll only use them for a short time until the next time football comes around! You could look at the PE curriculum for Y7 on their website to find out which term they do football. I hope that helps.

Edited to add that I've now seen someone else has said the same thing as me!! (We're past our SHS days, my daughter is now in y12 at Marling)
oxford_girl

Post by oxford_girl »

Thank you so much clarcats and octsmum.

SHS have sent us the entire uniform list and it looks quite generic to everyone. But I know some parent mentioned that they are waiting to order some House colour uniform once the children are told which tutor group they belong to. But I don't see such an item in the list the school sent. Am I missing something?
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

The houses have colours but the pe uniform is generic (no house colours). My daughter has a house badge which she wears on her blazer. Sometimes they wear house colours for inter house competitions - like house music - but just anything in the colour - like a casual t shirt / socks.

HTH
BlueDoor

Post by BlueDoor »

DD2 is in yr7 and this year they DO have house PE T shirts for the first time (DD1 in yr10 doesn't have one). They are purple, red, green, yellow and blue with SHS on and are available from Batemans - you just click which colour you want according to your house.

Be aware that they size up VERY small!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now