2021 entry:Was it stupid to ignore Pate’s?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PettswoodFiona

Re: 2021 entry:Was it stupid to ignore Pate’s?!

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Not your area but DD has been getting a ‘public bus’ to school since Y7 and hasn’t disappeared, been hurt or traumatised. In reality it is liberating, an opportunity to make friends and be independent. She has matured into a confident young person though a combination of factors, being in charge of her own transport is one of those factors. It really isn’t that bad. By maligning public transport it maligns those too who have no choice.
AS10

Post by AS10 »

PettswoodFiona wrote:Not your area but DD has been getting a ‘public bus’ to school since Y7 and hasn’t disappeared, been hurt or traumatised. In reality it is liberating, an opportunity to make friends and be independent. She has matured into a confident young person though a combination of factors, being in charge of her own transport is one of those factors. It really isn’t that bad. By maligning public transport it maligns those too who have no choice.
Didn't mean to malign 'public transport' and totally agree having that independence makes them mature and confident. It was just an admission that my wife and I need to resolve this conflict and let him have wings instead of treating him like a KS1 child!!
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

I think you are absolutely right to consider the commute. An hour a day is most of their homework for a night (from what I have heard). We didn't really consider Pates as the commute to DRHS is so short. If the teaching/school/extra curricular activities aren't so good at DR then she has an extra 5 hours a week to address that in a way that works best for her/us. We won't have to worry if she wants to stay later for any reason, and equally it will be easy to collect her if she's ill during the day. (That said, she didn't actually qualify for Pates... very close but no cigar.)

If Pates is very much the preferred school, could you make the move closer to Cheltenham and make the work commute longer and the school commute shorter?
BusyandConfused!

Post by BusyandConfused! »

Not sure if this will help (probably not, as I think you're leaning towards Crypt).... but I have 2 girls at Pates, and they have a 50min Bus journey each way. The commute has not been a problem, and has definitely been worth it. The school do a lot of the extra curricula activties during the day (during normal times), so there aren't too many extra long days. The school's balance of homework is fair, and from what I hear lighter than other schools, so they both more than manage to get it all done, despite their longer day. And in fact they seem to have quite a good time in the Bus - and have a seperate group of Bus friends!

We made the choice over our closer grammar (20 min bus journey) as it is single sex, so i know that is a different decision/dilemma than yours. But we are very happy with Pates - our girl's are very different characters, and they are both very happy there.
AS10

Post by AS10 »

Thanks for all the comments. We discussed with few people including primary head teacher, finally decided to go for Pates. Pleasantly surprised at the speed with which he was allocated a place there. Turns out he was playing it cool as didn’t expect to get in there at this stage. Super excited!! House hunt begins!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now