Help needed to priortize the school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mangofish877

Help needed to priortize the school

Post by Mangofish877 »

Dear all,

My daughter is really academic yet she is also interested in Sports especially Tennis. And
she loves Art.Also she has done a few slides trying to create a motion picture during one of her projects in year 4.She wants to be an Animator.Can someone suggest me which school would be encouraging her and to make her achieve her dreams so that I can prioritize the school choices?
2Socks

Re: Help needed to priortize the school

Post by 2Socks »

I know this may sound flippant, but I think the only way to go is to visit (either virtually or in person where possible) and ask questions.
Daughter has just started at DRHS and there was a message about tennis membership for the year, but my DD isn't really interested so I can't give you any more information... might be worth asking about though. Daughter does 3 hrs per fortnight of art and one of Art textiles, so they obviously think it's important, I can't say anything yet though about the syllabus.
Personally I would say that more important is how she would get to school...if she's spending an extra hour per day on travel to get an extra hour of tennis a week, you'd probably be best off with less travel and having local tennis classes, for example. The schools in Gloucestershire are all pretty good, including the comprehensives, and a bright, motivated child will do well at pretty much all of them.
They also spend 3 hours per fortnight in PE, and there's a good number of pe clubs currently available.
Last edited by 2Socks on Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Again, I'd visit. At SHS DD has 4 hours of DT, 3 of Art and 2 of computing a fortnight - all relevant to animation. We were significantly unimpressed at computer facilities at a Gloucester girls grammar, but as your DD is year 4, that may change in a couple of years, but ask what they use, how often it's upgraded etc do they have an animation club?

There is a tennis club and courts at SHS but DD doesn't play.

Also, your DD may change significantly themselves and their interests, so look at the bigger picture - what are library facilities like, what pastoral support is there in place? Travel... What we liked about a school or didn't like, maybe not what appeals or doesn't to you...
Mangofish877

Post by Mangofish877 »

Thank you 2socks and Progara_Glos.I appreciate your reply and help.Yes we are awaiting the open events soon.My daughter has done the animation project when she was in year 4.Now she is in year 6 and submitted the exam on 11th September.Thanks again
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Not sure where you are based but Barnwood Park looked very good for art.

My DD is at Crypt and has an hour of games and an hour of p.e. a week. This included Tennis in the summer, but not sure if there is an additional club. She does 1 hour of art a week, so possibly less than some other schools.
A lot of the clubs are after school, so it's worth considering how easy it would be to get home without a bus.