2023 - Entry - current Year 5's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LettuceJuno

2023 - Entry - current Year 5's

Post by LettuceJuno »

Hello! I'm new here... couldn't see if a topic had been started for those of us about to start prepping for our year 5's.

My eldest has a much older brother just started 6th form at Tommy's so he's desperate to follow him. We have decided not to tutor. *gulp* :shock: partly because money is a bit tight this year and partly because we sort of already know the score.

DS's school are v quiet with the test, no mention of it amongst his peers yet.

I seem to remember when my eldest was going through it all we had a nice little group going where we supported each other through it, but this time around people seem more reluctant - perhaps that's just me though :lol:

So if there isn't already a post for those of us in y5, can this be it? If there is a post, can someone direct me to it?

TIA!
carbonatedbecky

Re: 2023 - Entry - current Year 5's

Post by carbonatedbecky »

Hi Lettuce.

I signed up recently too! My DD is going to be sitting the exam next year. We haven't any experience of this so far as DD only has a much younger sibling.

We have spoken to school and actually had some really good support from them. Her teacher gave us a list of recommended resources etc and explained the process to those of us from her school who are going for the 11+. I was pleasantly surprised! I gather this is unusual!

We have started working through the list of things school sent us and so far we are plodding along quite nicely. I suspect we will panic later on, but so far so good.

I am really surprised there aren't more of us!
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Welcome.

Most primary schools seem to deny any knowledge of grammar schools so I think you're lucky! Whatever schools say, working for the 11+ will help your child (and ultimately their schools SATs result). Our village primary had really good SATs results - but no surprises since usually a good third to half the class sat the 11+.

Some tutors start work with y5 after the results come out in October, others start after Xmas...so that is maybe why it is a little quiet yet. Some parents start even later so you're ahead of the game! Some come to it towards the end of the summer term / even the summer holidays....Don't forget that you're in this for the long haul...don't over do it!

When we did the work with DD, there was a small number of us at the same school so we were able to share experiences...as well as being on here!

Wishing you the best of luck!
Mumof3dragons

Post by Mumof3dragons »

Hello all,

We are just starting the journey with DS2. His older brother has just started at Marling, which has been a bit disjointed due to him catching covid in the first week, but all in all he seems to be enjoying it so far. We will be using the same tutor as we did with DS1 as I am definitely not cut out for doing it myself (as underlined by the lockdown experience!).

DS2 seems really keen at the moment as he's seen the outside of the school and is hearing about the cool stuff they do, but I don't expect it to be plain sailing - he has a very closed mindset so if he hits a wall he's likely to throw a wobbly and want to give up. It's tough following your brother who qualified top 150 for all four boy's grammars, so I need to think how to make it more personal a journey for him.

I'm not expecting any assistance from his primary school, but luckily he is in a year 5/6 mix which will naturally give him the chance to stretch himself.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now