Crypt or Tommy's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Billyboyrum

Crypt or Tommy's

Post by Billyboyrum »

My son was 236th for Tommy's and 400th for crypt, so should be able to choose either as his first choice . He isn't sporty and I think could end up enjoying drama. His preference is so far crypt, which is also mine, but the tour of Tommy's just wasn't as good, so I don't think he has a true knowledge of what is there, and I want his choice to be as informed as possible. Are there any parents here that can give a bit of a review of the school. For want of a better term, he is a geek, loves English, Harry Potter and lego, and loves knowledge in general
Brackenboo

Re: Crypt or Tommy's

Post by Brackenboo »

My DD is in y8 of Crypt. She doesn't seem to do any lunch time clubs, but I think they missed out on doing these in y7 do haven't continued with it. She enjoys hanging out with friends and they play basketball etc.
We've found the iPad scheme great in terms of helping her to keep up with lessons and homework etc. I think all of the children find their groups. She mixes with girls from other classes and I think this generally happens.

She really likes it there and it's at the top of our CAF for DS. But this is mostly due to the convenience of having them both at the same school. We've also been impressed with the pastoral support our daughter has received.

Definitely look at travel options for both to see if one is better than the other. Our biggest issue is with length of day and lack of friends based locally.

A friend if mine is favouring Tommies due to the different clubs they have on offer. We haven't been able to go to Tommies thanks to Covid but I've heard lots of positives about it.
ozziemum

Re: Crypt or Tommy's

Post by ozziemum »

My son started tommies back in 2012. Loved it and was very successful in his GCSEs and A levels. Now at Bath University Engineering. Both teaching and pastoral care excellent. Tommies consistently scores higher in exam grades than Crypt. See Times and Telegraph newspapers for best secondary schools in England. Do consider transport to the schools too. Much better if easy bus journey.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now