Relocation to Gloucestershire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snow123

Relocation to Gloucestershire

Post by Snow123 »

DS was ranked within the 150 for all 4 schools and he's made the decision to go to Pates. Before he took the exam, we were thinking about moving to cirencester as it's close to hubby's workplace and we also like the two comprehensive schools (in case DS doesn't get a place for grammars). now the result is out and we know exactly where he is going so we are re-considering our plan.

Unfortunately we can't afford a 3-4 bed house within Cheltenham as houses are much more expensive there. Our budget is something like 430k. I would be grateful if any one can recommend some places suitable. It doesn't need to be within walking distance to Pates but preferrably on a school bus route within 20-30 mins travel time. We also have a daughter who is currently in year 2 so we would like to be within the catchment of a good primary school.

Many thanks in advance.
LibbyRose

Re: Relocation to Gloucestershire

Post by LibbyRose »

Longlevens might be worth a look.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

It might be worth calling admissions to see what primary schools have spaces as I know lots are oversubscribed. It might help to narrow your search areas, especially if you will be moving before your son finishes y6.

Leckhampton might be worth looking at or Churchdown, Winchcombe.
YankBritmum

Post by YankBritmum »

I concur with Brackenboo’s advice about the primary schools. We had to do an in year admission for our younger DD, and I contacted a lot of primary schools before I found a place. Luckily, that place was at an amazing primary school.

Potentially, you are looking at a drive, drop off/pick up so you will need to think about the ease of your daily logistics. Does the primary school that has a place offer after school care, if you need it, and can the drive work, etc? It was a daily 4.5 mile drive for us, but I was in a position to be able to do it.

Good luck with your move plans.
Snow123

Post by Snow123 »

Thank you so much, all, for your kind advice. We won't be moving until DS finishes year 6 so less pain with in year transfer... Will definitely call the adnission to find out the likelyhood of getting an in year place for DD and will look at the areas you suggested.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

If you're not moving soon, definitely think about private buses and whether there are spaces. Lots of them get booked pretty quickly after offer day, which may be trickier if you don't know your location. May be safest to look at locations with good public bus options too.
Snow123

Post by Snow123 »

Brackenboo wrote:If you're not moving soon, definitely think about private buses and whether there are spaces. Lots of them get booked pretty quickly after offer day, which may be trickier if you don't know your location. May be safest to look at locations with good public bus options too.
Thank you very much for the info. I didn't realise buses would be booked up so quickly.......
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Seconding the Winchcombe, Leckhampton and Prestbury suggestions! (Also Tewkesbury, but pick the non-flooding bits like Walton Cardiff). Best of luck with it.
Ironman120

Post by Ironman120 »

Anyone staying in Churchdown near Pirton fields and travelling to Pate’s ? I have heard lot of good feedback regarding churchdown being a central location to all grammar schools bust skeptic if traffic from churchdown towards a40 might be a hassle ..!
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

I would say at the moment traffic can be busy and not too busy as lots of people are still at least part working from home. We're in Brockworth and I work in North Cheltenham and traffic probably adds 10-20 minutes on each way. I would definitely recommend kids catching school buses or normal buses where possible. My daughter has made quite a few more local friends on her bus who aren't in her class.

Churchdown is probably a good option for the Gloucester grammars and pates, but not so much for the Stroud ones
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now