Pate’s or Denmark Road

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BusyandConfused!

Re: Pate’s or Denmark Road

Post by BusyandConfused! »

2Socks wrote:
Lysander wrote:We have settled on Pate’s: the academic results and the TPM swung it for us. Denmark Road did look nice too, but I know that plenty of girls leave after Y11 to go to Pate’s (and I don’t know any who move in the opposite direction), so I think we have our CAF order sorted.
Is TPM like DRHS' Discover, Shape and learning for Life? I'm not familiar with the term, and thought I had learned most of the jargon now!

Definitely agree with Cazien, don't choose the secondary for the 6th form unless there's no other way to separate the 2 great schools. Having worked in a true 6th form college (IE not associated with a school) I would always advise to try and change school at 16. Obviously it depends on the available options, but if there's an equally good 6th form that offers the subjects required that's a reasonable distance then I suggest a change. We had so many kids talk about how it was a better transition to university/work. Basically, because the teachers hadn't known them as 11 year olds, they treated the kids in a more mature way.
Please don't think I'm trying to change your mind... DRHS is the perfect fit for my DD and I understand that won't be the case for everyone... your comment just reminded me of chats with a few of the kids I worked with!

TPM at Pates refers to Tuesday Afternoon. It is basically where all years go off curriculum for the afternoon lesson, and do a variety of wider things - Bushcraft, Team Building, other Language tasters, Cooking etc....
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

I overheard a Mum at the Pate's tour discussing whether the grammars schools offer comparable opportunities to 'shine' / be a 'somebody'. She was concerned that at Pate's, her child would never be one of the best at anything. Now, my DD loves to lurk and hide and so this wouldn't bother her, but I can't say the same for both of her BFFs, who definitely would want to be in the A-team for things and be noticed! I thought it was an interesting point. And then I wandered off and ate more of the free biccies than is polite...
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Lysander wrote: TPM at Pates refers to Tuesday Afternoon. It is basically where all years go off curriculum for the afternoon lesson, and do a variety of wider things - Bushcraft, Team Building, other Language tasters, Cooking etc....
Thank you, sounds like the same sort of idea... wish we'd had it at my secondary!
saveheart

Post by saveheart »

Pates always been in top 10 in England and there is a massive gap between Pates and rest of the Gloucestershire schools if you look at the A level results which shapes your future. If your daughter was not over tutored then she will thrive in Pates.
Janicet118

Post by Janicet118 »

Thank you for all the comments. My daughter decides she would love to go to Pates.
dodie102

Post by dodie102 »

saveheart wrote:Pates always been in top 10 in England and there is a massive gap between Pates and rest of the Gloucestershire schools if you look at the A level results which shapes your future. If your daughter was not over tutored then she will thrive in Pates.
I’d expect A Level results to be incredibly high as they have very strict entry criteria for their 6th Form and quite a few can’t stay. There’s no real value added as a school as the students are already have enormous potential. It’s a good school but there’s no magic dust that makes them do so well.
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Well, we've got 14.5 hours to decide. No pressure, then! Good luck to any ditherers (like me)...gulp x
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

dodie102 wrote:
saveheart wrote:Pates always been in top 10 in England and there is a massive gap between Pates and rest of the Gloucestershire schools if you look at the A level results which shapes your future. If your daughter was not over tutored then she will thrive in Pates.
I’d expect A Level results to be incredibly high as they have very strict entry criteria for their 6th Form and quite a few can’t stay. There’s no real value added as a school as the students are already have enormous potential. It’s a good school but there’s no magic dust that makes them do so well.
I think the reason for finding it difficult is because they're both good schools and there's no wrong decision. Whichever your DD ends up at will end up being absolutely the right school.

If the mixed/girls only situation doesn't help, then choose the one with the easiest journey...both for your DD and yourself!

Good luck and remember whichever you choose she will love it. Just get it submitted!