Tommies & Denmark Road no longer Outstanding?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mini.me

Tommies & Denmark Road no longer Outstanding?

Post by mini.me »

Just seen a report on Gloucestershire Live. Wonder whether any others will follow?

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... QWoDTW0kFU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mumto3Girls

Re: Tommies & Denmark Road no longer Outstanding?

Post by Mumto3Girls »

This is because the Ofsted framework is no longer primarily focused on academic outcomes. They look at the quality of teaching, behaviours and attitudes, leadership, staff well being etc.

Ergo this means you can no longer rely on having an outstanding intake to be outstanding.

'Bout time really.
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

I have a son at STRS who is very happy there. Could STRS be better? Yes, I think they could be, so in some ways it isn't a bad thing that it is recognised in the ofsted rating. However, all of or grammars are run on shoestring budgets and have been dealing with a pandemic. I think if ofsted want schools to be outstanding then they should suggest that the schools are properly funded for a start. It will be interesting to see what happens with the other schools in the coming months/ years.
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Let's not forget that the head of Ofsted has said that the requirements for outstanding are now much tougher and the expectation is that the number of schools achieving outstanding will diminish hugely. She's openly stated that a rating of good now really does mean good, with the corollary that under the old system it was more like acceptable. Personally I prefer this; in my previous experience, places that were ranked outstanding pretty much sat on their laurels, whereas those that were given areas for improvement worked to improve (mostly!).

Either way, I think that if you're choosing a school based on Ofsted and results alone you're likely to make a mistake. The feel of the school and whether your particular child will be happy there is much more important in my view. This counts for grammars just as for comprehensives, nurseries, colleges etc. That said, it's good extra data to consider.
dodie102

Post by dodie102 »

I knew this would come up. It's about time they were all inspected. I think both schools were last looked at over 15 years ago! My school was also visited recently and we were very pleased with 'good'. Having children at both schools I would say that 'Good' would be a fair judgement. School leadership teams that pursue 'Outstanding' may well miss out on the nuts and bolts of education - OFSTED whims change rapidly from 'cultural capital to whether female students feel safe to allowing the academically able to show mastery'. For too long some schools have relied on the high capability of their students and not actually added 'much value' at all. I am still happy with the schools and pleased that my two are thriving there. Could things be better - of course!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I just took a look at other recent reports for Grammars, all were Outstanding: Dartford Grammar for Girls, Watford Grammar and then in Yorkshire Beverley Grammar has gone from Good to Outstanding. So Outstanding can be done for some Grammars under the new regime. DD's school is due to be inspected 'soon' as last one was done in 2014 with an interim about three years ago. I think it it doing better than ever but I am not using the criteria that the inspectors use.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Both Beverley and the Watford 'Grammar' schools are grammar schools in name only, though - Beverley is fully comprehensive and the Watford 'grammar' schools comprehensive with a percentage of places offered according to performance in the SW Herts test and then only within a priority admissions area (so less chance of out-competing by the 'professional' 11+ takers, unless they happen to live in the greater Watford area).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Yes I always get caught out by that one! Thanks for highlighting. Dartford is near me so I know it is a grammar in the true sense.
Bizymum1000

Post by Bizymum1000 »

Glos18 wrote:I have a son at STRS who is very happy there. Could STRS be better? Yes, I think they could be, so in some ways it isn't a bad thing that it is recognised in the ofsted rating. However, all of or grammars are run on shoestring budgets and have been dealing with a pandemic. I think if ofsted want schools to be outstanding then they should suggest that the schools are properly funded for a start. It will be interesting to see what happens with the other schools in the coming months/ years.

I highly agree. By the time the other schools are inspected they would’ve had more time unlike the ones inspected straight after the lockdown which I feel is a bit unfair. I’m sure a lot of schools were creating covid risk assessments etc and ensuring a lot of boxes were ticked for this. I just feel if you’re going to inspect right after a pandemic just make sure all schools have the same notice before inspection and not to single out a small few.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

My daughter's grammar was inspected at start of Feb with one day's notice of the visit and the report came out last week. It was Outstanding and the report confirmed that it had taken into account lockdown. DD said there was a palpable air of unease though after the visit and the Head was a bit edgy rather than his usual affable self. With the publishing of the report things have settled back down. So some are being given this standard, but know it is very hard to achieve. I don't think I would have thought any less of the school if it had been given good as I know it well and so inside information is very helpful alongside any Ofsted report. I even know one person on the waiting list for the school had hoped it would be 'good' so it might put off some of the perfectionists higher up the waiting list than they were!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now