Ribston Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

capers123

Post by capers123 »

hetty wainthrop wrote:In an effort to try to 'clarify' the confusing points scoring system in Glos we received 4 different scores for our daughter from 4 different schools even though she only sat the one test!! So the standardisation process is a complete mystery. e.g Stroud High advised that their minimum pass mark was 216 but Ribston published theirs as being 210. The scores that my daughter received for all 4 schools were nowhere near each other ranging from 198 to 212 and she didn't get in anywhere.
As I understand it, Shire Hall have for some time been trying to persuade the heads of the Grant Maintained grammars to standardise the marking scheme. At least they use the same exam on the same day.

It could be that they are reluctant to do so as then there would be a distinct ranking of schools, as parents would compare notes and see who has the lowest entrance score. Hence some would only put their child for the 'bottom' school if they were not expecting a good pass and it could end up with a less wide spectrum of pupils.

For us parents, however, it's just confusing at the moment! Anyway, I'm off to an appointment in Barnwood...
Capers
alisonc

Mixture of scores on same test

Post by alisonc »

My daughter stated Ribston & Denmark on the form that you have to fill in for preference. I only ever got the score for Denmark, not Ribston. She had over the pass mark for Denmark, and luckily did get a place (1st preference). I just wonder what she would have achieved as a score for Ribston, and how far down the list she actually was for Denmark with a score of 219 as for me the scoring system is very confusing. She is a bright child, but coming from a very small village school (year group of 9) I'm not sure how she compares to others her age.

Now trying to sort bus out from the Forest!
capers123

Re: Mixture of scores on same test

Post by capers123 »

alisonc wrote:My daughter stated Ribston & Denmark on the form that you have to fill in for preference. I only ever got the score for Denmark, not Ribston. She had over the pass mark for Denmark, and luckily did get a place (1st preference). I just wonder what she would have achieved as a score for Ribston, and how far down the list she actually was for Denmark with a score of 219 as for me the scoring system is very confusing. She is a bright child, but coming from a very small village school (year group of 9) I'm not sure how she compares to others her age.
She'd probably have passed for Ribston. Sounds like a mess-up in admissions. Contact Shire Hall or Ribston - it would most likely be an automatic place offer (without appeal) if you wanted it.
Capers
alisonc

Ribston score

Post by alisonc »

Thanks for that Capers. She did get a letter to say she had passed for Ribston, but never had a letter about her score. Shire Hall only sent the letter with her Denmark score after the deadline of school preference. It's like parents are trying to be caught out all the time. The letters only say whether she passed and stating things like "216 passed for 114 places" and 246 passed for 116 places" is no help. At least it looks like at Pates you know where your child sits in the list. It's just a complete lottery. I knew I was giving up a an excellent comp school putting a grammar first choice, but I had to take that risk. Luckily it did pay off.
Hendy

Re: Ribston score

Post by Hendy »

alisonc wrote: I knew I was giving up a an excellent comp school putting a grammar first choice, but I had to take that risk. Luckily it did pay off.
This is no longer the case. No school should have had "1st preference 1st" as an admission criterion this year.
hetty wainthrop

Post by hetty wainthrop »

Hi Alison C- the scores for Denmark Road were given out by Shire Hall automatically but if you wanted to know the Ribston scores you had to put a request in writing directly to the school. We did this back in March which was how we knew what she had scored. I'm sure they could probably still tell you now if you are anxious to know. It seems that the Ribston scores though work out at approximately 10 more than the Denmark Rd scores if that's any help, although of course the standardisation is a complete mystery!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now