Pass but fail

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pluto1

Pass but fail

Post by pluto1 »

My child passed the entry exam by 9 points for their chosen Gloucestershire Grammar school school, but is now on the waiting list as the cut off point ended up 1 point above the score they achieved. Anyone any advice on waiting lists, appeals or similar experiences? Any considered advice is welcome.....
Regards
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

For appeals you need to go to the Appeal section and I believe it is worth appealing even if you are on a waiting list just incase.

One bit of info I gained recently was that someone got their son into Tommy's Feb this year as spaces became available and they weren't happy with the comprehensive their child was attending, I am not even sure if the child took the original 11+. So it is worth keeping up contact even after September.

Horribly frustrating position to be in though, I find it totally unfair the way the system tells children they have passed but then disappoints them in this way. It desperately needs changing in my view.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

It's well worth putting in an appeal as well as going on the waiting list, assuming you can fish out some grounds for the appeal - as your child passed, this can be 'the school can take more children than the official number'; however, other parents may use the same reason, so anything extra doesn't come amiss.

Don't be disheartened as there is still normally some movement of the waiting list right up to the day the appeals start, but less after the appeals (because the appeals allowed will take the school over it's formal admissions number).

For 'expert' advice, yes, get ye over to the 'Appeals' forum.
Capers
Milla

Post by Milla »

re Tommy's, the intake started this year on 106 (rather than the possible 108) - one of the gap represented by the shortfall of 2 was someone we know who got in on appeal and has since emigrated, but wished to keep the place in case they come back and also having an offer of a grammar helped their options abroad. There's nothing in all of this as simple as merely wanting your child at a particular school, you see! As for the boy who joined part way through, another child left and so a place became available so, yes, there is movement, you just have to keep your beady eyes on it all and track the system like billy-o. Good luck, and never say never.
pluto1

Post by pluto1 »

Well,
Our appeal was successful! :lol:
A really challenging process, but our schools admissons team were really helpful and the appeal panel were very fair and did their best to put us at ease.
The tough part was the stress of worrying for so long.
The advice on this forum is very good and I am grateful to those who gave us their thoughts and support, and particularly those who administer this site. There was no way we were going to use "Professionals" in this process; They cannot know your child like you do, and if you do your research, I do not know what they could add. But this site really gives some useful pointers to set you of in the right direction. Personally, the best advice was about keeping the appeal factual, doing your research and planning. An appeal will not work if you write it the night before.
Anyway, there now, so we're happy and will enjoy the summer. (It is odd to find myself with a few minutes spare time without rehearsing the appeal submissions in my head!) 8)
I'll be back next year to support those going through the same process where I can.
Regards
Milla

Post by Milla »

excellent news for you, well done! It is depressing, though, isn't it, to think that you pass, but it still isn't necessarily good enough.

In cases such as this is the only way to appeal, or can one wait hopefully "for movement" and just sit on the waiting list. I can't think how the appeal would work given that the exam has been passed. Do you base it on stressing that that school really IS the one for your child? Do you claim that circumstances on the day led to the child passing, yes, but not passing by as big a margin as expected? or a hotchpotch of the lot?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I'm pleased the appeal was allowed.
pluto1 wrote:An appeal will not work if you write it the night before.

Actually...

I remember one appeal where the parent sent no notes in advance (other than completing the front side of the appeal application), no reasons for the appeal. She turned up on the day with no notes or supporting info from the primary school (not one that supports grammars)- totally innocent of the process.

We had to draw everything out from her - even the school's side was helping with leading questions. She'd not even had her child try the short practice paper that came from the school. The child had passed, but was just one mark under those admitted. Because of the info we drew out, we allowed the appeal.

I have a friend whose children went to the same primary school, so after the appeals were over asked about the mum (without mentioning appeals or the like), and was told that, yes, she was living on a different planet to the rest of us and the son was the brightest child in the class - a bit of a relief that we'd made the right decision.

However, that was somewhat unusual compared with most appeals. Like you, I recommend planning and good factual info.
Capers
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Well done to you and your DS-so pleased for you!!!

GM