percentages on practice papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Don't worry Glos-mum I didn't take it that way at all.

I think we are all pretty much aware that to a certain extent what they get in the V.R tests isn't really a true reflection on their ability to cope at the Grammars anyway.

There will also be an element of luck, four letter words didn't come up on either paper last year. DS1 was not a natural at these so that worked in his favour. DS2 finds all of them everytime and extra to boot. Hopefully they will come up this year :lol:
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

The joke is that a plot of VRQ against surname would give you a better correlation than a plot of VRQ against attainment at GCSE.

Many parents of pupils who failed to achieve the 105 score yet got in on appeal will testify their offspring, in the main, have coped admirably at grammar school. The 105 score is a bit of a hammer to break a nut.

I know of 4 pupils who failed to score 105, got in on appeal, and are now at Oxbridge. And we all know of pupils who failed to get into grammar school and yet have done very well academically.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think that children who get in on appeal have to be provenly academic. If you were a borderline child then it would be harder to get in that way.

Therefore it doesn't suprise me in the least that these children do so well. They are put through a selection process far more rigorous than the actual test.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now