last year's scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Milla

last year's scores

Post by Milla »

I imagine that you'll all get this bit of paper, but just in case anyone doesn't, here goes. Last night we had a talk at school about secondary transfer and the woman from the Council said that the scores for Tommy's and Denmark Road last year were:

Tommy's
lowest: 220
highest: 261

Denmark:
lowest: 210
highest: 269

They only had access to these since they are the school entrances administered through Shire Hall, so I can't help with Crypt / Ribston / Pates, although we've all sort of worked out that it was 250 for Pates, non?

Obviously the scores don't cross compare exactly since the cohort changes. Thought it was interesting that Drd had the higher and the lower scores.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Crypt will give you the information when they send out your child's test result in November.

It is interesting that passing got you a place at the girls school but not at the boys.

Do they have more spaces at the girls school?

Also it may be worth putting them up on the sticky.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I wondered that, but a) felt presumptuous and b) feared everyone would get anyway, but I did think it was interesting.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

re - a) I shove things up there otherwise it would look pretty empty plus I remember when I first arrived here knowing diddly squat about the system I could have done with it. Instead I had to search through all the backdated stuff.

re b) I very much doubt we will be given it as we don't get any info regarding the 11+ and I think that is pretty much standard for all the schools around here.

People will want this info come Nov results day. The trick will be trying to work out what sort of Pates/Crypt.. etc equates to it. Last year the Tommies standardised score was lower than the Pates score. I am assuming Denmark was the same.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I can't quite get my head round it all and, read it as many times as I might, still feel like a monkey stirring the soup when trying to understand standardised scores. In some cases - presumably NOT the Glos exams - you can get full marks without even finishing the paper. Er, what?? Is that Bexley Kent or Bucks, I think. One of my many panicking trawls through the forum anyway.
I would also have thought that the Tommy's score would be higher than the Pate's one as one would assume the Pate's cohort would be a notch up.
Will copy and paste my earlier posting and put it in sticky. (yuk, sounds horrible)
arealfarmer

Re: last year's scores

Post by arealfarmer »

Milla wrote:I imagine that you'll all get this bit of paper, but just in case anyone doesn't, here goes. Last night we had a talk at school about secondary transfer and the woman from the Council said that the scores for Tommy's and Denmark Road last year were:

Tommy's
lowest: 220
highest: 261

Denmark:
lowest: 210
highest: 269

They only had access to these since they are the school entrances administered through Shire Hall, so I can't help with Crypt / Ribston / Pates, although we've all sort of worked out that it was 250 for Pates, non?

Obviously the scores don't cross compare exactly since the cohort changes. Thought it was interesting that Drd had the higher and the lower scores.

I am puzzled by this because I had been told by a DR parent that the max score was 240 and that his daughter had got 220 which got her into DR , but was not enough for pates .
Milla

Post by Milla »

well, those are the figures handed out by Shire Hall.
240 very much more the MINIMUM score for Pates. Another mother on here tells me that her boy's Pate's score was 237, but his Tommy's score (same paper, obv) was 233. This surprised me since I thought it would be the other way round (but she's not the sort to get something wrong). The scores for the Crypt are, I think (and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong - we didn't include the Crypt last time as just too far, but will this time for panicky cross-referencing purposes), given in the one hundreds, not the two hundreds.
I am certainly in some confusion how they create these scores anyway, given that two papers, each of around 80/85 questions are taken. Just where does all this minimum 105 each paper stuff come from anyway?!?! :shock:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

The raw score will be out of 85 for paper 1 and out of 80 for paper 2.
They then standardise them. This is where the complication arises because in Gloucestershire different schools use differring methods.

Tommies and assumingly Denmark standardise according to the children who are sitting the test.

Crypt standardise according to the population and yes Milla the score comes out in the 100's not the 200's :? .

Pates standardise so that the child who came 160th in the test gets a score of 240 which is then their pass mark.

Don't know what the Stroud schools do sorry.

So Milla is right Realfarmer, the minimum score for eligibility to Pates would have been a Pates score of 240 which would possibly equate to a DR score of around 235 if they tally with Tommies scores.
Glos_Mum

Re: last year's scores

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Milla

Post by Milla »

OK, the great Pate's count-up begins here!
At our school, two boys on waiting list (one at about 158??) got offered Pates in the summer holidays (I think) and one turned it down and went to Tommy's instead.
In the year before, at our school, only 3 got it and of that 3 only one boy took it up. Another child went to Cleeve instead and a girl to DRd.
(I say "only" because this year more got in, but fewer went to the Glos grammars)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now