ONE WEEK TO GO!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

It does seem to be a taboo area for a lot of people. There are some parents who do have children sitting the exam but if you mention it they seem to close up. There are others who 'don't agree with Grammar schools'.

I am happy to put all my cards on the table but I think a lot of people prefer to keep them tight to their chests. I am not sure why because talking about the exam (as we do here) can give a lot of help and support.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Our son's class teacher didn't mention it at all last year, council policy means they are not really allowed to. However when we went to his last parent's evening (he went to Grammar this September) she pointedly said we had made the right decision.

On the plus side head was asking today when DS2 sits it and was very positive about his chances. Why is it so much easier to be positive when its not your child :wink: .

Interestingly DS1 came home from school today saying this Saturday's test was very much the topic for discusion as there are a couple of other boys', in his class, who have brothers sitting it.
susiesue

Post by susiesue »

Milla, my daughter will be sitting at Denmark Road.

Just wondering if any one has received their 2nd letter from Denmark Road? With the exam day so close and the postal strikes will we get those letters in time??

On another note, just wanted to say that I am a little disappointed with the lack of help and guidance regarding 11+ from the school. Not once has 11+ been mentioned. It's like we've been left to find out all the information by ourselves. We had results from a vr test they did earlier in the year, and when we asked about what the scores meant, all we were told was that 'the average is 100'! I am lucky that I have had a neice and a nephew who went through the process, and especially this forum! There's been so much good advice and information, I don't know where I'd be without it! So keep up the good work Gloucestershire Mums and Dads!! :D
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

My friends daughter is sitting Denmark Road and she has not had second letter either.
Milla

Post by Milla »

second letter? we're only due the one from Tommy's yes??

To be honest, I don't know how informed primary school staff are about secondary schools. I think you, as a parent, pick up so much more from other people whose children have gone through it, that their opinion on suitability isn't always as relevant as perhaps it could be. Personal experience only, mind.

Yes, Tolstoy, very easy to be confident about the chances of others!!
arealfarmer

Post by arealfarmer »

Second letter from Denmark rd came this morning ,basically says which gate to arrive at , between 8.30-8.50 .
alisonc

Post by alisonc »

Nice to see people with girls on this forum. Not sure if I should start a new link for this, but I'd like to say that coming from the Forest of Dean, I'm pretty sure local primary schools don't give any info whatsoever about grammar schools. It could be because being out of the Gloucester City area, many people can't/won't pay the £90 a month bus fare. Living in Glos the bus is free if you're more than 3 miles away from the school. It's not really fair, is it? It's still our local grammar too! Anyhow, this website is really helpful. My daughter is at Denmark Rd if anyone wants to ask any questions before putting preference in. Went throught the dreaded 2 weeks last year after test/results so good luck all!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think you should start a new thread Alisonc as I have been stewing over this one for a little while myself.

One of our main reasons for opting for a Grammar was the fact that the only Forest school with a 6th form would be impossible to get into and would also incure a transport cost anyway. I know of one very bright girl last year whose parents couldn't possibly have afforded the bus fee so they didn't enter her.

Does anyone know where transport funding comes from? Is it local, county or central Government.

I feel many Cheltenham children who miss out on Pates and are forced to come to Gloucester get hit by this rule as well so it is relevant for a lot of people. More support makes for more chance action.

Perhaps a mod can help by splitting this link as I think after the results come out there may be quite a few interested in tackliong it.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red

Post by Red »

Best of luck for Saturday. I hope everything goes smoothly and you have fantastic celebrations on Saturday night ... and your children, of course :lol:

Red
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now