ONE WEEK TO GO!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

...any room for a little one? Okay, okay poss not so little but may be a calming influence, not :roll:

DS2 wants me to take him, DH did last years run.
susiesue

Post by susiesue »

I have been reading all these posts avidly and appreciate all the advice given. This is my first experience of 11+ and unfortunately it won't be my last! This last week leading up the the exams is going to be a very nervous one, and I'm not looking forward to the 2 week wait for the 'results' either.

Just want to wish everyone the best and I hope your kids get the results they were hoping for!

Maybe we could share results (when we finally get them!)

GOOD LUCK!! :D
Milla

Post by Milla »

great to have another one join in the stress!! which school are you going for, Susie??
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Maybe we could share results (when we finally get them!)
Now that is when the fun really starts :lol: . Especially for those of us applying to a school that gives you no idea what mark will be needed to get in regardless of getting a pass :roll: .

At least this year I have more of an idea of what mark means feet up and relax for the next couple of months and 'please no please ' :? :( a mark that means nothing until allocation day come March.
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

I guess waiting for the marks will be most stressful for parents? Do you think the children will forget about eleven plus after the exam?

Not many children are taking the eleven plus at my son's school (only about five or six in the whole year group) so it won't be talked about much at the school gates.

I guess this is not true in other areas. It sounds like some of you have a lot of people from your children's schools taking it. Is that a good thing?
I guess it gives you more people to discuss the exam with.

I am so glad I can discuss it here as it has been the main thing in my mind for some time now.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

It is all a bit cloak and dagger here. Some do not want to say their child has done it..incase they do not pass presumeably! Others will mention it but say "oh of course he/she doesn't care which school they get" (lies) and some will talk openly (very very few).

All in all it is really a no-go area. I was made to feel like I thought my child was better than everyone elses. I learned to shut up pretty quick.

This forum is supportive and non-judgemental on the whole. So I shout from the roof top

VIVE LE GRAMMAR!!!!!

(could someone 'in the know' correct my French??)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Not many children are taking the eleven plus at my son's school (only about five or six in the whole year group) so it won't be talked about much at the school gates.
That is a huge amount compared to our DS's school. This year he is the only one. Last year was extra-ordinary in that 3 of them took it, a record I should think. 6 would be the sum of the last three or four years.
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

Last year not a single child from my son's school took it either. The year before it was two (twins).

This year (5 or 6) is the highest number for some time.

There is only one mother, from the school, who talks about it as I want to talk about it... I mean like we do on the forum. Unless there are some cloak and daggar ones that I don't know about.
Milla

Post by Milla »

About half my boy's class is taking it, exercising varying amounts of stress / faux casualness / commitment. One poor woman said to me a month ago, "what's verbal reasoning?" since I fear I now have a barcode on me saying "verbal reasoning" I almost choked at her naivety. (And, surprisingly, actually did the decent thing of telling her, shocking myself by not giving into my inner cow of saying blithely, "no idea. does it matter? apparently they can just turn up and it'll all be fine on the day...!)
Pushkin

Post by Pushkin »

About 30 of my son's year group are sitting it. Even with that number it is a taboo subject that only gets mentioned in passing but nothing in depth. It is so strange.

The teachers also won't discuss it - it would not surprise me if they still get loads of homework on the weekend of the test.
Pushkin