Results Countdown 2009...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Perplexed 2009 wrote: Pittville....
Hey - look on the bright side - Pittville used to be Pates Girls, like what where my wife went.
Capers
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Perplexed 2009 wrote:Ladies' College bursary; not even offered a % off. Income is below 10k p.a. and we live frugally. I guess they expect us to sell our rather run down home, but not worth the disruption.

I just told Head of primary, and i indicated that i hoped tomorrow would bring a brighter result. She said, "did i have other back-up plans???? "
No, just local comp, if we are close enough, or Pittville....

Does she know tomorrow's results and is trying to prepare me for worst????
Keeping everything crossed that you get the result you need Perplexed. In 24 hours hopefully you will be celebrating - the best of luck!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Perplexed I hope you get the results you need tomorrow. I assume being in Chelts you are attempting to get Pates which unfairly for Cheltenham children is the toughest to get a place at.

If you don't and are truly unhappy with your comprehensive alternative then I think you should look to the Gloucester Grammars. I assume financing buses would be an issue due to your income but I think it is about time the issue of funding transportation to Grammars was looked into. As it stands it is a very inequitable system and penalises many children coming from homes where there is a low income.

Alisonc keeps mentioning it because we in the Forest are the most directly affected but we are not the only ones and it has been a concern of mine for some time.

Goodluck for tomorrow.
tolkein

Post by tolkein »

capers123 wrote:
Thirdtimer wrote:
Also bear in mind not all questions carry the same marks.
What ???
First I've heard of that.
Well, I may well be wrong and I don't want to alarm anyone. This came from DS1's professional tutor, who has mentored lots of children, so I assume it's a reliable source. DS1 accordingly focussed on certain question types. But, as capers indicates, it may be a simpler scoring mechanism - I just don't know.

There's only 12 hours (or less) to go - so best of luck to all !
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Tolkein, can you share which types? It's not our turn till next year but don't know if you have another DC sitting next year and would rather not tell. Any info. is gratefully received!

Good Luck to everyone waiting for results tomorrow and Congratulations to all those DDs that have done so well in the Ribston test.

Fingers crossed for more good news in Gloucestershire :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

capers123 wrote:
Thirdtimer wrote:
Also bear in mind not all questions carry the same marks.
What ???
First I've heard of that.
First time I've heard it as well. All of the marked papers I have seen during appeals have one mark per question - ie right or wrong. the only variation comes when the totals are weighted for age, but even that is done scientifically to ensure that an October born child has the same chance of getting the same score as a July born one.

It is possible that other counties have papers that have variable marks, but not Gloucestershire.
No disrespect to Tolkien but I would go with this advice myself, pixiequeen.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Actually, I'm going to stick my head on the line here, and say categorically that each question carries the same weighting. No doubt about it. For both papers.

I've seen the manually re-marked question papers, and added up the results myself. The score written on the top of the page is equal to the number of correct questions. There is then a weighted score, calculated from this to allow for month of birth.

I wonder when the 'professional' tutor last saw a marked Gloucestershire question paper? Some tutors are good. Others, I have a feeling, may be out to maximise their earnings ("ooh, you need extra tuition in the holidays at £x per day"). They don't get paid by results, after all, just by hours taught.

It could also be that the tutor also does private school bursaries? Or Warwickshire / Birmingham grammars (if they don't have the same system).
Capers
arealfarmer

Post by arealfarmer »

capers123 wrote:Actually, I'm going to stick my head on the line here, and say categorically that each question carries the same weighting. No doubt about it. For both papers.

I've seen the manually re-marked question papers, and added up the results myself. The score written on the top of the page is equal to the number of correct questions. There is then a weighted score, calculated from this to allow for month of birth.

I wonder when the 'professional' tutor last saw a marked Gloucestershire question paper? Some tutors are good. Others, I have a feeling, may be out to maximise their earnings ("ooh, you need extra tuition in the holidays at £x per day"). They don't get paid by results, after all, just by hours taught.

It could also be that the tutor also does private school bursaries? Or Warwickshire / Birmingham grammars (if they don't have the same system).

How then does one point per question on 85 and 80 questions translate to marks of 100 and something ?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The raw scores are standardised. Have a look at-
http://www.emie.ac.uk/research-areas/as ... -ranks.cfm
Maureen

2009 Results - Any point in Appeal??

Post by Maureen »

Hello - Does anyone know what Pate's do if they get to the end of the 160 who have qualified and still have space? Do they start in September with empty desks or do they approach borderline candidates below the 160?

Thanks so much x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now