Missed the pass threshold. Is it worth applying?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

I'm not sure if or how this makes sense but I can only think that those who sat for the Gloucester boys (not sure about girls) grammars were a particularly strong group this year so that when the marks were standardised some that may have passed for Marling didn't pass for Crypt. The pass mark for Marling is officially 6 marks higher.
I wonder also if it makes a difference to your score for some schools in terms of where you sat the test. I read a few days ago that someone's (cant remember who's) son had missed the mark for Tommies like mine by 1 mark. His score for the Crypt was the same as my sons but his score for Marling was a couple less and a few positions down. Is that because my son sat at Marling? seems a bit odd. Same test after all
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Oh yes I agree Capers,they would still have to meet the schools requirements in terms of academic ability.Perhaps the appeals were not forthcoming and the school wished to push the parents along a bit? :wink:
Milla

Post by Milla »

Ruby Tuesday wrote:I read a few days ago that someone's (cant remember who's) son had missed the mark for Tommies like mine by 1 mark. His score for the Crypt was the same as my sons but his score for Marling was a couple less and a few positions down. Is that because my son sat at Marling? seems a bit odd. Same test after all
are their ages wildly different??
It's horrifying how close it can all be, those vital few points making such a difference. :shock:
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

Can't be that can it. Surely age mark won and lost would be the same anywhere.
Have just looked back to find the post I was talking about.
In fact I was wrong because the pass mark that the boy in question had for Tommies was 211, my son 209
Crypt 113.5 my son 113
Marling 232 my son 234.
From that I would say that you gain or lose 2 marks depending on where you sit the test???
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

It is all due to the standardisation-it would be on your sons age,marks are won or lost from your base score due to age in years and months.

What month is your DS birthday?

See this link for an explanation of age standardisation

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 938#143938

GM
Milla

Post by Milla »

with regard to the marks difference, would people say that Pate's marks were generally 5 or 6 more than Tommy's marks?? (can't even factor in Crypt to this since has no bearing on the other 2) and how did Marling fit in with Tommy's - more? less?
It's not meant to sound boastful but when you - or more accurately your child - get a top 120 place you don't get a mark for that school.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

He is Feb so bang in the middle.
I think what you're saying is that the age mark for some will vary according to where they sit the test and the relative ages of those sitting in that place, not the relative ages of those sitting everywhere which is what I had thought.
?
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

Aaaaah Milla Chrimbo lights. Love those!!
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

Have worked it out with a friend and think that her sons mark was in the 240's for a 120 place at Marling. This is possibly the lower (ish ) end of the top 120 marks. Assuming Crypt dont give a score for top 120 like everyone else.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I don't think Crypt or Tommy's do a top 120 because we were that for marling and pate's but got marks for C and T.
Yes, the lights, proof of a morning's work avoidance (see rehab!) I'm calling it Keeping Up with Technology. :oops:
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now