Low down on Gloucester/Cheltenham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I spent yesterday afternoon in Pates, teaching a bunch of Rainbows, Brownies and Guides. I can now confirm that I have no intention of ticking Pates for DD2 next year!

Why?

I can't say I looked round the school - I made my way to the Y12 common room, did my stuff for 3 hours, then left, so all I saw of the school were corridor after corridor, all looking the same with blue lockers, and said Y12 room.

No, it was getting into the car park that did for me. The event was due to start at 1pm, so I duly arrived 20 mins early, at which point I found that a small traffic jam was building up, where parents were driving in and dropping their beloved offspring off. My colleagues had planned to arrive 10 mins early, but ended up in a jam that went back to the A40 roundabout. I suspect that much the same happens on weekdays, especially with more traffic about.

All schools have traffic problems, but I think that we'll once again be putting down schools that DD2 can walk to, no matter how excellent the alternatives!
Capers
Milla

Post by Milla »

capers, this is the most surprising thing you've ever written!
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Milla wrote:capers, this is the most surprising thing you've ever written!
I'm sure that most children get to Pates by bus, so maybe the parking / drop-off isn't as bad as with x00 guides arriving all at the same time. My partner went to Pates when it was at the Pittville site, and had to do a long journey by bus - but as I know it, the old site was nowhere near as congested as the GCHQ / Glos College / Pates area.

I do know of children for whom the style of teaching & fellow pupils at Pates will outweigh the problems of transportation. I was just saying that for my family the local schools will be a better option. For that matter, Ribston, for us, would also have significant problems - it may be the second closest grammar, but it would mean going past Wynstones and St. Peters, and that route can get very crowded as well. For my DDs, a 10 min walk down the hill is far better than all that time in the car / on the bus!
Capers
moved

Post by moved »

We lived in Pittville when we were in Cheltenham. It was the cheaper side of town, but we could still cycle to the DC side
Amber

Post by Amber »

[
iI'm sure that most children get to Pates by bus, so maybe the parking / drop-off isn't as bad as with x00 guides arriving all at the same time.
No, it's worse! I sometimes work further down the road at a primary school and the entire area is snarled up with traffic at Pate's opening and tip-out times. I suppose it's no worse than other schools, but because of the proximity to PEW the knock-on effect can be very bad.

(I suppose it would be bad form to say that I agree about the corridors! I think that's why they only take the very brightest children: so they can find their way around!)
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

Just as a comparison, I have to drop off DD2 when Ribston Hall children arrive in the morning, and return from picking her up as Ribston turns out. I never have a problem on Stroud Road, but if you need to go along Linden Road or Carlton Road then,there's a good deal of giving way, and not much parking, if any. I've never know the whole area jam up. The worst times are evenings when there is a parents' evening or performance and a lot of cars arrive or leave (and compete for parking) at the same time, but it doesn't last for long!
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Crypt has a very convenient roundabout system outside the school, which works brilliantly for dropping off. I have to say it does get busy at picking up time, however doesn't cause jams to my knowledge.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Milla

Post by Milla »

Tommy's is bad - my son got hit by a car there (was fine). But it's on a little road and I dread to think what it's like when full of buses and cars. It's a side of it I don't see since he's on the bus.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

capers123 wrote:
Milla wrote:capers, this is the most surprising thing you've ever written!
I'm sure that most children get to Pates by bus, so maybe the parking / drop-off isn't as bad as with x00 guides arriving all at the same time. My partner went to Pates when it was at the Pittville site, and had to do a long journey by bus - but as I know it, the old site was nowhere near as congested as the GCHQ / Glos College / Pates area.

I do know of children for whom the style of teaching & fellow pupils at Pates will outweigh the problems of transportation. I was just saying that for my family the local schools will be a better option. For that matter, Ribston, for us, would also have significant problems - it may be the second closest grammar, but it would mean going past Wynstones and St. Peters, and that route can get very crowded as well. For my DDs, a 10 min walk down the hill is far better than all that time in the car / on the bus![/quote]

Blimey lets hope they never end up working in London or having to commute anywhere how will they cope?!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

cheltdad wrote:Blimey lets hope they never end up working in London or having to commute anywhere how will they cope?!
Well, of all the EU countries, people in England travel the furthest (on average) to their workplaces each day. Add in the average longer working days than our friends overseas. The result is spending less time at home with family.

I know of people who have a flat in London and commute home to Gloucestershire to wife & children at the weekends (assuming there are no pressing weekend meetings or overseas travel). The moved here to improve their quality of life, especially family life!

So I agree. Let's hope my children do not need to commute, or if the live in London, that they live close to their work. Much better for them to have spare time to do fun things.
Capers