Low down on Gloucester/Cheltenham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I know of people who have a flat in London and commute home to Gloucestershire to wife & children at the weekends (assuming there are no pressing weekend meetings or overseas travel). They moved here to improve their quality of life, especially family life!

So I agree. Let's hope my children do not need to commute, or if the live in London, that they live close to their work. Much better for them to have spare time to do fun things.
Not always as cut and dried as that unfortunately, Capers. :roll: [/quote]
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

Well yes, our bread winner could wait for a local job while we lose our home, and can't afford to do all the fun things in our spare time that currently occupy us (posting here included!) If you can't find a job locally, either you have to cut your expenses (for most that's the mortgage) or look further afield. I'm just glad my husband is flexible enough to be able to work for the many different companies he has done.

I know an American family where the husband is a lawyer in Iowa and the wife a surgeon in New York. They see each other a few times a year!

To an extent I do agree with capers here, it just doesn't seem right for children to spend over 2 hours on a bus every school day. That isn't preparation for a commute to work (and how absurd would that be anyway) its robbing them of their childhood IMO. There, I've said it! I don't think it does them any harm, but it must mean that there are things they give up.

If that was the only option for us, and that grammar school was still the best fit for my child (it would be) I wouldn't go for a local school just because of the ease in getting there. The bus system works - it gets the children to school and takes them home safe, and it is good for their social lives. Its not ideal, but it doesn't get in the way of the excellent education they receive. If it meant that my children had no time to, say, practice instruments and they gave up on all sports and other interests, it would be too much, but it isn't that bad, you can see from the varied extra curricular activities that doesn't happen.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I know an American family where the husband is a lawyer in Iowa and the wife a surgeon in New York. They see each other a few times a year!
I can see that might have its attractions :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Sorry, not replied for ages. I only have blackberry connection which is sporadic at best.

I'm very happy in the part of Glos where we live. Not got out much but it seems peaceful and quiet. :)

Was interested about comments about OH's living in London. We may end up having to go down this route as we have worked out it is more costly to do the daily commute rather than rent a box and having 2 cheap fares a week. We had the option of DC boarding or OH boarding and we chose the latter. This way OH sees DC more than he used to and as he will work ridiculous hours during the week he will leave very early on Friday and blackberry WILL be switched off! :lol: It may well be the first time we have OH's full attention! The novelty may wear off! :shock:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

blackberry WILL be switched off!

DH was once strongly coerced into doing this when we went on hols. After 2 hours driving around Le Mans desperately trying to find overnight stop off, DH rather carefully suggests that Blackberry might find it. :shock: on my part, do they do such a thing.

Needless to say we were all tucked up in bed less than half an hour later. :
capers123

Post by capers123 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:We had the option of DC boarding or OH boarding and we chose the latter.

Which school is your DC at? I lost track many moons ago!!!
Capers
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Capers if I were not in a jolly mood I may be offended by your sarcasm but I am too deliriously happy to be connected to the internet.

He's at DCPS.
Milla

Post by Milla »

capers123 wrote: Well, of all the EU countries, people in England travel the furthest (on average) to their workplaces each day. Add in the average longer working days than our friends overseas. The result is spending less time at home with family.
My bro works in Paris and can't believe the hours we work. That our rush hour is at 5 astounds him. "That's lunchtime" he says. He routinely works 12 hour days. And did so when worked in Italy and Spain, too. Doesn't like it. But does it. Also says how easy we have it with silly things like paying bills - can't do DD there, have to queue for hours each time at the post office. Bit OT I know, but.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Rush hour is not 5pm in London or 8am! :lol:

For a rubbish blackberry I can still see that blasted baby! :roll:
Milla

Post by Milla »

what? this one?
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now