2010 Entry Marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Crypt have written to boys who scored around 0.5-2.0 points off the pass mark in the past-suggesting they may like to appeal.Although again if they all appeal then there would not be enough places to offer them all!!!

Offering 90 places at 1st allocation seems about right,if I remember the position accurately from the last few years.All years are over-subscribed at present,which obviously suggests that they do fill places by the September!

GM
Milla

Post by Milla »

yes, ticking for all must skew the figures given the top 120 thing at the Stroud schools and Pate's. I'd suggest these schools could almost be out of numbers with the doubling up. Having just a twilight zone of 40 to dip into isn't very much with all the duplication of places. :?
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

Milla wrote:does this throw a spanner in your works, PW???
Just thinking out loud really. We've accepted the place at RGS, paid the deposit, but if we change our mind and let them know before the start of next term then all we would lose would be the deposit.

Oh, apart from the fact that I sold my very nice, very lovely Landrover yesterday :cry: and bought a Citroen :cry: :cry:

I don't know if I want to go through an appeal. DS didn't pass the test, but he wasn't tutored either. He did well in the RGS tests as they were a mixture of maths, English, VR and interview. He was well on the day so no mitigating circumstances. He has had a disrupted education due to his first school closing down, then having to move from his second school but that in itself is not grounds for appeal.

He was on School Action for literacy at his old school but his current school won't put him on school action as in their opinion he isn't bad enough! Who's right - who's wrong?

He has been bullied, verbally constantly and physically assaulted once. We have been in to school about it but they are very limited in what they can do. None of this is grounds for appeal but its why we didn't want to accept a place at the local comp.

Think I may have gone slightly off topic here - sorry to everybody who has read my rambling :oops:
I used to be plain, but when I married Mr Pretty I became PrettyWoman and now have 2 Pretty children!
allovernow

Post by allovernow »

Congratulations to everybody on some wonderful results !

So what's the general feeling here for Pates ? Like others, we're in the twilight zone (original ranking @ Pates was 143). Spoke to them this morning and they confirmed they had dipped into the zone to make the 120 offer places that went out today (not very far though - SlackMum at 126 was one of those). Do people think there will be lots of movement over the next couple of weeks ?

DS has an STRS place but would give that up for one at Pates (more local).
Milla

Post by Milla »

they went just about all the way last year. Eventually. A question of sitting it out and holding back on blazer ordering??
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
MChelt

Tommy's scores

Post by MChelt »

hi does anyone know the lowest mark for Tommy's offer this year. Have they gone down to 210 ?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

PrettyWoman wrote:He has been bullied, verbally constantly and physically assaulted once. We have been in to school about it but they are very limited in what they can do. None of this is grounds for appeal but its why we didn't want to accept a place at the local comp.
I beg to differ - it's often come up in appeals. Especially if the bullying was bad around the time of the exam, or even the bully was in the same room during the exam. One year I remember a child appealing because he's been bullied at school A, and moved to school B to get away from the bullies, and another who did the same thing in reverse! I'm not saying that all bullying cases would win the appeal, but it is useful evidence. The more solid grounds for appeal you have, the better.

Finally, if you appealed, and happened to win, you might have to cough up both the deposit and one terms fees for RGS (where is RGS?), but think of the rest of the money you'd save; on the other hand, appealing is free! You've nothing to loose but your nerves!
Capers
PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

[quote="capers123Finally, if you appealed, and happened to win, you might have to cough up both the deposit and one terms fees for RGS (where is RGS?), but think of the rest of the money you'd save; on the other hand, appealing is free! You've nothing to loose but your nerves![/quote]

RGS is The Royal Grammar School Worcester. Deadline for getting away with a terms fee's is 13th April.

And I thought we had made a decision. I don't think the primary would be particularly supportive of an appeal. Whenever I have spoke to teacher about options she always asked if we would be happy with the comp if nothing else worked out. They tend to funnel everybody to the comp as there is only one and its easy if everybody goes there!

Obviously I wouldn't be happy with the comp - I wouldn't be on here, or tearing my hair out about having a choice, or selling my car! Sometimes these teachers need to remember they work for us! Rant over :oops:
I used to be plain, but when I married Mr Pretty I became PrettyWoman and now have 2 Pretty children!
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi Pretty Woman,
I had the same experience in that my DD's year 6 teacher was very opinionated about the local comp, even though we never even considered it. Grammars were like a dirty word,and we got the impression that she thought we were very above ourselves to even be thinking that way! She said we must visit, and when the teachers from the comp came to visit the year 6 class, our DD was treated like a lepar and had to leave the classroom!
Your primary doesn't have the initials MM does it?

sorry to go off topic people!

Best wishes to all and congrats on your great results,

Proud mum x2
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

Sounds like just about everyone who passed has got into Marling.
Pass mark was 216 and someone we know with 217 marks (=214th out of 225 passing) has been offered a place.