2010 Entry Marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

Interesting!
I used to be plain, but when I married Mr Pretty I became PrettyWoman and now have 2 Pretty children!
Milla

Post by Milla »

does this throw a spanner in your works, PW???
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

DD in Pates 120 so can't help with ranking but her Denmark Road score was 245.

It does sound like most have taken up Pates places if 144 not offered ..... sure there will be a few gloomy faces in playground this afternoon.

Hoping the glorious spring sunshine has gone a little way to easing anxious mornings! :)
Milla

Post by Milla »

I'd've been surprised if it dipped much lower than that at this stage, but there's still time for things to change. They were offering into the summer holidays when people pulled out for some reason. But unnerving for the uncertainty to drag on, if Pate's is what you're after.
Now that so many are safely in can say that DS2 was 258 for Tommy's - is that 263 for Pate's, and don't know what it would have been for Marling? Academic really since he's in and it doesn't matter and clearly there are lots clustered round a very few close marks; just hope that doing well at VR equates to doing well when there :? Always something new to fret about. :cry: Just glad the scruffy little beast wasn't all random and mad on the day but seems to have just got on with it.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Is this unusual at this stage though?

Surely many won't have had confirmation of private school scholarship offers etc before they filled in their CAF forms.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

PrettyWoman wrote:By my maths that means there are 22 places up for grabs at The Crypt. Following on from earlier posts do you think boys who were close to passing will be invited to appeal?
The school shouldn't invite anyone to appeal. Details of how to appeal for any school should have been sent to parents.

However, there's nothing to loose by appealing (you might gain a few grey hairs). For a Non-Qualification appeal, academic ability will need to be proven (predicted SATS results, reports from school, etc), and an appeals panel, even though it will know that the school is undersubscribed, will not necessarily allow 22 appeals; if they think that only 10 would be suitable for a Grammar education, then 10 it will be - or more than 22 if that's what they think. Allowing an appeal for a child who will struggle would not be fair on the child, the rest of the class or the school!

If I were the parent of a near-miss child, though, I'd be writing off now to appeal.
Capers
Milla

Post by Milla »

capers123 wrote:The school shouldn't invite anyone to appeal. Details of how to appeal for any school should have been sent to parents.
But isn't this what happened 2 years ago with Denmark? Am sure all our girls who hadn't passed were, let's say, encouraged to appeal. Maybe it was because it was different then and these were girls who might have got 210 or more, but not the 105 in each paper which was demanded then.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Encouraged, maybe. Invited - no. Otherwise who would the school invite to appeal? What about those who had not put down the school as a choice, but didn't get into another grammar? Those who didn't pass the test so didn't put any grammar on the option form? Those who didn't tick the box for DR? To be fair they'd have to invite all parents (of girls) from the whole county to appeal. 'Inviting' to me would be the school saying who they want to appeal, which isn't how appeals work. What would happen if the school invited a parent to appeal, but the panel turned the appeal down? The parents would then say that the school had raised their expectations of winning an appeal, or had 'pre-approved' an appeal.

Appeals panels must be totally independent from the Admissions Authority(School or LEA depending on status), so a parent saying 'we were invited to appeal by the school' would raise eyebrows, and possibly have the school referred to the Ombudsman by the Appeals Panel - Panels are obliged to report any incorrect procedures to the Ombusdsman - it's not just parents who can take up cases with him.

In practice, 'letting it be known' that the school is undersubscribed is somewhat different to a formal invite, and the information would be most likely spread by viral means.
Capers
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

If I were the parent of a near-miss child, though, I'd be writing off now to appeal.
Definitely, when you also consider that it is early days yet and there will be movement from Tommy's to Pates freeing up some Tommy's places for those who want them but have been offered Crypt. So even more places may well become available.

My guess is that last year was very much a guinea pig year for the two Gloucester CC schools with the changed system causing far more passes than places. This year they have done much better when standardising Tommy's, hence the lower score needed to get a place. It is bound to have had a knock on effect with the other grammars, surely.

I just wish they could get it right or be made to take the extra if wrong. A pass should equal a place, especially as we know that they will allow extra in on appeal anyway so the space must be there. It still grieves me the worry and uncertainty people are put through pre-allocation day and after.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

And another Stroud High - rank 179 (not sure of score).

The gut feeling in the playground was that more people than last year ticked all 4 school boxes on the exam application form.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now