2010 Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Maureen

2010 Appeals

Post by Maureen »

Hello - does anyone know of any case where an appeal has been successful at Pates?
capers123

Re: 2010; Pates Appeals

Post by capers123 »

Maureen wrote:Hello - does anyone know of any case where an appeal has been successful at Pates on grounds of non-qualification (but score very close to pass mark)
All the anecdotal evidence here seems to suggest that likelihood of success varies hugely from GS to GS.
I don't know the figures for Pates. However, given that they did not admit pass rank 144, and they had ?160 passes (or were there more?), you'll have a hard time proving that your child should actually have passed AND been higher up the list than 144. Non-qualify appeals are harder to win than over-subscription - you have to prove both academic ability and that the school can cope with more pupils, whereas those who passed the test only have to prove the latter.

With very strong mitigating circumstances & academic reports it is certainly possible.
Capers
Milla

Post by Milla »

if you look at the figures produced (can't tell you where!! Capers??) the successful appeals for Pate's are very rare. I know of one a few years ago but the child had been seriously ill. And I mean seriously.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Milla wrote:if you look at the figures produced (can't tell you where!! Capers??) the successful appeals for Pate's are very rare. I know of one a few years ago but the child had been seriously ill. And I mean seriously.
The school should be able to tell you. They may even appear in the stats in their prospectus.

As for illness, yes, appeals panels take it into account, and a serious illness is great mitigating circumstances ('Here, Jim, drink this little bottle of salmonella extract - you've got your 11+ tomorrow, and whilst you're at it, give a drop to the cat as well, just in case'). :D
Capers
arealfarmer

Post by arealfarmer »

'Here, Jim, drink this little bottle of salmonella extract - you've got your 11+ tomorrow,
I reckon you would need two days before . :lol: :lol:
Milla

Post by Milla »

nope, that's but a stroll in the park cf the poor child who did get in on appeal. :?
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

This link is to the Annual Report for admissions 07/08 which gives very detailed information on every school,and also appeals information and how many were successful-may be of use for this years parents!

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index ... leid=12086
The 07/08 report was published in January 09 so the 08/09 report should be imminent-couldn't find it online anywhere though.

In 07/08 there were 9 heard appeals of which 3 were upheld.
Maureen

Pates Appeal

Post by Maureen »

What a circus! Thanks for the updates, we are watching with great interest to see what unfolds. I know of at least one person on the waiting list for Pates who has not put it as first pref. and is going to DR instead, hopefully there will be more.
mcs

210 appeals

Post by mcs »

If my memory serves me right, in 2008 there were 12 appeals, 2 of which were upheld. I'm not sure, but I think there were 9 last year. We were one and we were unsuccessful, much to my son's relief! (he wanted to go to STRS). I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that they let a couple in each year. Grounds for appeal still need to be strong though.
Milla

Post by Milla »

heard today of another boy who is on waiting list but has decided to accept Tommy's instead.