buses

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Milla

buses

Post by Milla »

just to say to any newbies in case you didn't know: get onto the coach companies now.
Bennetts, for instance, who run the service to Glos Grammars, give priority to existing customers and the buses do fill up quickly - each year the spaces yielded are from leavers so you need to take this seriously. Get on the waiting lists - they invite existing people to renew any time now but will treat new applications in the order in which they are recieved.
Bennetts can be called on 01452 527809.
Mind you, having said, have done nothing about DS2's bus :oops:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Whilst we are talking buses here what is the situation regarding paying for buses to Grammars.

Is it true that if you come under Gloucester city council and Cheltenham city council that you get funded for the journey to the nearest one if you are outside the three mile limit? If so is this funding dependent on family income?
Milla

Post by Milla »

don't know at all, but doesn't it have to be your nearest school, not just the one you want them to go to??
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

In the booklet children in certain areas get their buses paid for if they attend the nearest Grammar.

We do seem to be doubly penalised for living in the Forest and not having our own Grammar school i.e longer travel plus having to pay for it. I was hoping to confirm this and if it is the case getting a few on board for sending strong message to Mark Harper that this is unfair.

Also very unfair on those children who pass the test but can't get a place at their nearest grammar through no fault of their own.

Anyone up for taking on the council over it?
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

This is correct.
I applied for DS to have a free pass to Crypt-it is over 3 miles from our house.It was refused as Tommies is our nearest Grammar(also more than 3 miles away)-but he didn't pass to go to Tommies!!! Does seem very unfair :?

GM
Milla

Post by Milla »

that is just bonkers.
they raise your hopes by having these systems (presumably ticking boxes in some sort of league tables of their own regarding provision of services)and then take away! :shock:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

[quoteI applied for DS to have a free pass to Crypt-it is over 3 miles from our house.It was refused as Tommies is our nearest Grammar(also more than 3 miles away)-but he didn't pass to go to Tommies!!! Does seem very unfair
[/quote]

Has anyone taken this further as it can't be remotely fair?

I think they get away with it because we are all so grateful that to get a place we put up with the injustice in the transport policy. I know alisonc isn't happy with the situation because she mentioned it on a previous post.
Milla

Post by Milla »

it's never going to be fair, though.
If we went to our local comprehensive instead of trekking cross-county to the grammar :oops: , the boys would have to go by bus because, although it's only a mile or so away, the road is lethal. Windy (twisty not blowy) and fast and littered with boy racers' failed efforts to negotiate the corners at drunken speed. No way would a child ever walk down there day in and day out, yet the bus is a standard service bus and costs a shocking amount really when added up.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Tolstoy wrote:[quoteI applied for DS to have a free pass to Crypt-it is over 3 miles from our house.It was refused as Tommies is our nearest Grammar(also more than 3 miles away)-but he didn't pass to go to Tommies!!! Does seem very unfair
Has anyone taken this further as it can't be remotely fair?

I think they get away with it because we are all so grateful that to get a place we put up with the injustice in the transport policy. I know alisonc isn't happy with the situation because she mentioned it on a previous post.
[/quote]

I'm trespassing from Kent. The same applies that they would pay for travel to nearest 'appropriate' GS, so if you put your closest GS as 1st choice on CAF and don't get a place but get a place to one further down that is further away they will normally pay once you bring it to their attention. We had this situation, we applied and KCC said we weren't eligible, but when we pointed out the fact that it was the 'nearest appropriat school' they did pay.

So you should question it.
alisonc

Post by alisonc »

We too, live in the Forest. The LEA booklet states you get the bus paid for if you live in Gloucester City Council area. Being in the Forest of Dean Council area we have to pay. Even if you claim benefits, you still have to pay. Tolstoy, did you see the letter in this weeks Review regarding the local comps? The author put forward comments suggesting that children that leave the Forest to go to school in Glos should have their appropriate allowance for that child to the school, to be left within the Forest. If that happened, then the local council should pay for our bus fee to Glos then. What do you think? With the elections coming up this year, I wonder whether Mark Harper would be interested in this. I will be up for a petition.