NEW!!!hello and does this sound right?....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Weaver wrote:Ok, so when you get the results of the tests, does each school tell you where your child is in the ranking, or do they just tell you whether you've passed or not, and you take your chances on an application from that?
Yes and no. Different schools do different things. Some give you 'pass, in top 120', 'pass, below top 120', 'not pass'. Others will give you either an exact or approx ranking if in the 'pass but not top 120'. Some will also give you similar details for 'not pass'. Some do it by splitting the middle lot & not passes into quintiles, to '1st quintile' pass but not top 120 is virtually guaranteed to get in (maybe apart from Pates), with lessening chances the lower the score - but some years, some schools will end up taking all those who have passed!

Simple, eh?
Capers
Milla

Post by Milla »

this year, for Marling at least, quintiles were dumped! It was top 120 (don't know if they provide a buffer zone of up to top 160??)
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

Marling gave everyone who passed their position this year - right down to 250 something, so everyone knew exactly where they stood.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

capers123 wrote:
Yes and no. Different schools do different things. Some give you 'pass, in top 120', 'pass, below top 120', 'not pass'. Others will give you either an exact or approx ranking if in the 'pass but not top 120'.

Simple, eh?
Capers, thank you for this; useful to know for the future! My main concern was, if my DD did pass, how would I know whether she'd scraped it, or done well... and you and the other kind forum members have made it all much clearer :D

Cheers,
Weaver
Milla

Post by Milla »

Thirdtimer wrote:Marling gave everyone who passed their position this year - right down to 250 something, so everyone knew exactly where they stood.
I'm surprised about that. Could be very dispiriting :cry: . We got "qualifying score .... within top 120" no rank within that.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

yes,im not sure id like to know exact places tbh..(unless it was VERY good :wink: lol!)
Id feel terrible for him if he *just*missed a place....
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

No news is sweeter than knowing your DC just got in I can assure you and yes the alternative of just missing out must be unbearable if that place is important to you or them. The benefit to knowing that it was a near miss can only be that it should encourage an appeal.

Having had one DS get his place easily and the other literally scrape in has reinforced for me the arbitrary nature of these tests. I prepped both sons myself and know their abilities and the scores do not necessarily correlate, the margins are too small and we are talking about a one off performance on the day based on two tests of a very similar nature. Also there will have been varying degrees of preparation between children which are impossible to quantify.

I therefore have to agree with those schools whose stance is to just give rankings or scores where necessary. It is unfortunate that the system doesn't allow for a simple pass and your in scenario which would be much healthier all round I feel.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Tolstoy wrote:the other literally scrape in
Tolstoy! he passed, and cleanly! As you say, the margins are ridiculous and the On The Day bit impossible to quantify but your DS2 has most def passed properly!!
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

Thirdtimer wrote:Marling gave everyone who passed their position this year - right down to 250 something, so everyone knew exactly where they stood.
I thought only 225 passed? Did they give a rank order for those who didnt reach the pass mark?
Also I didnt think that they gave a position within the 120.
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

Apologies Ruby - you are right - not sure where 250 came from apart from being a 'similar looking number' to 225!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now