Trying to decide where DD should sit the test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pixiequeen

Trying to decide where DD should sit the test

Post by pixiequeen »

Have noticed with a mixture of excitement, tredipation and sheer panic that the registration forms are available to download for this years test. This has prompted a discussion in our house about where DD should sit it. She has dyspraxic tendancies and likes lots of routine and dislikes change/unfamiliar places. I had assumed that she would ask to sit at Denmark Road because that's her first choice. We live in Stroud so I was going to suggest Stroud High because it's nearer and that will make me less panicky on the morning :shock:

Then in dawned on me that she is actual quite familiar with Ribston, as she does an out of school activity there.

My question is...does anyone know if they sit it in classrooms, or in the main hall at Ribston? Large crowds freak DD out but she has been in the hall before and not the classrooms.

When I asked where she wanted to sit it she was under the impression she would be able to do it at her primary school. Glad I didn't spring that on her at the last moment!

Any info. about what happens on the day, especially at Ribston, gratefully received.

Pixiequeen
Gypsypony

Re: Trying to decide where DD should sit the test

Post by Gypsypony »

My DD sat at SHS, last Nov, for SHS. They were put into rooms, rather than the hall. There were girls who cried and were taken to a separate room, so they wouldn't disturb the rest.
I'd suggest ringing Ribston or SHS and explain your DD's situation, they may well have a dedicated room set aside for such circumstances.
pixiequeen

Re: Trying to decide where DD should sit the test

Post by pixiequeen »

There were girls who cried and were taken to a separate room, so they wouldn't disturb the rest.
Ah, that's interesting. One of DD's other quirks is that she's distracted by absolutely anything - a ticking clock, cars going past - she's learned to ignore some of these things as she's got older but I know she will find it very hard to ignore someone talking or crying.
I'd suggest ringing Ribston or SHS and explain your DD's situation, they may well have a dedicated room set aside for such circumstances.
In an ideal world she would be shut in a soundproof room on her own and would probably get a fab. score. I will definitely ring and see what the schools have to say. We have no medical proof that DD has any special needs so don't really expect any special treatment but I suppose you don't know till you ask.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now