seem to have reached a plateau?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

muminTewkes

Re: seem to have reached a plateau?

Post by muminTewkes »

Pixiequeen-our DC's seem about the same.
Im not overly worried(Im not!)as I simply KNOW he's got it as such-its just timing I guess and tbh more than 1 practice per week Im not prepared to do-its too much aswell as the homework he has from (Im not sure I can say?)Kip Mc G and also school and ummm...playing!
At the end of the mth he's going to a mock where they do x2 VR's back to back the same as in the test as we thought it would be a good thing to experience(?)He is also doing the Kip summer school-only one hr a week(many are doing LOTS more :shock: )and then the 4/5 weeks running up to D-day they are doing tests each sunday.
They used to do this in a week,before the exam date altered,is this what you mean malvern??
Anyway,I keep hearing all these scores in the 90's and in super quick time..but Im determined not to push/panic...hmm...will my nerve hold? :!:
malvern

Post by malvern »

Sorry, bit of a panic there - I have heard of Kip but thought KP week was something I had missed altogether.

My DD is firmly in the mid 70's at the moment, but no issues there at the moment as we are both learning as she moves on and hope that she will make some progress, plenty of time and would hate to see her get bored if she ace'd them all now.

Managing her enthusiasm (building up to the day, not allowing her to peak too soon) is something that I am thinking of but not getting very far at the moment - any suggestions.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

PLease don't panic! :D It was the same last year and it is easy to get this all out of proportion. They are 10/11 year olds and they DO NOT need to be mini Einsteins to pass this test. That said, they do need to be versed in the question types and feel confident going into the test. We did a lot of confidence boosting in the last few weeks "You are ready, you are going to do brilliant babe" etc.. Even when there were times when I feared it would all implode and I would crack under the strain.

You will hear about kids getting consistently in the 90's and so some do (and some parents exaggerate!), but there are hundreds of other mums and dads out there whose kids are not at that level and they are obviously not advertising the fact. It is not necessary to get in the 90's in practice papers to pass the exam. If you are aiming for Pates it definately helps the confidence levels if your DS/DD is in that range but there is no telling that will translate on the day. Some do better than expected, rising to the occasion and some do not do as well as expected.

As for getting them to peak at the right time I would say to work on the areas where you feel they are weakest and concentrate on pulling them up. Gradually building to a two test back to back weekend and easing right off (although it is SO tempting to cram) the week of the test.
Milla

Post by Milla »

EE is so right, and you are at the peak time (you poor souls) to have fears breeding and morphing. As she says, as we kept trying to remind ourselves last year, they are taking the exam up against each other, not Einsteins, (nor middle aged mothers with an unhealthy interest in "inf GU = IK what does LS = ...." (these were my pet hate!))
I have never heard of the Kip weeks - Thank God! But honestly, you do not need to rise to every panic strewn your way, honest. I read things on this forum (not just Glos, the whole shebang) and it's easy to think you should do More More More, but it really isn't necessary.
The familiarisation thing IS a fair point- once they know how to do the codes, you really don't have to do them over and over and over. What I would advise, which I did a little late in the day, was to sit with a stop watch (really! I blush to admit to such madness) and time each section he completed. Some he'd race through the whole section in 20-30 seconds, and others labour over for several minutes. I'd then tally it against the results and then only make him work on the poorer scores / slower sections.
Keep calm!!!