Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
malvern

Scores

Post by malvern »

Hi all

I know the question I'm asking is rather nebulous but my DD is now in the 80's for her practice papers (85 the highest at the moment) do we have any kind of indicator what kind of percentages you need to be looking at (I appreciate the practice papers differ) for the various schools - eg 90's for Pates, 80's for Denmark Rd., 70's for Ribston?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Malvern
muminTewkes

Re: Scores

Post by muminTewkes »

We are similar.
Its the question everyone wants an answer to i think!trouble is i dont think there really is one!
I searched this forum some time ago and found a pretty good guide from Orson(i think?)but im rubbish at links etc...
I believe it indicated that 80% ish is ok for STRS/DR and 90% for Pates.... but who knows?they seem reasonable though.
Im just heading for 90's if at all possible!lol!
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi folks
Yes you have it just about right. It differs with the cohort sitting the test. If you get a very bright cohort it pushes the percentage needed for a particular school higher.

On the day there are so many factors which affect the kids and only you know how your DC is likely to cope under the pressure. I spent time confidence building before the day which I think was as valuable as doing the practice tests. Talking about what it will be like and simulating exam conditions at home. :D

It is not that helpful to worry to much about what is needed for where because it is all up in the air until you get the results. What I tried to do was to be flexible about which schools I would be happy for my son to go to. As long as he passed I would have been happy so he could go to any of the grammars. We were not aiming for Pates or STR, just to get it done and passed. The rest we would figure out after that. So much changes in the post results period regarding places, scores needed and appeals etc.

Just keep up the good work and build their confidence so they have the best chance of performing at their very best. :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

EE is absolutely right. Orson did say DC needed to be scoring

70 - 78 for Crypt
78 - 85 for Tommies
85 + for Pates

However my DS1who was scoring around the high 70s low eighties got a very high Tommies pass whereas DS2 was getting the 90s but only scored 215.

So focus on making sure they do not have any weaknesses despite their overall result and concentrate on raising those individual scores i.e for DS2 it was vocab for DS1 anything which had a spelling slant.