May be moving, help please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bucksmumtoo

May be moving, help please

Post by Bucksmumtoo »

Having been preparing DS for 11+ in Bucks, a move to the Stroud area may be on the cards :roll: .
Can anyone here advise on the likelyhood of gaining a place at Marling after the normal round?
Have considered sitting the Glos 11+ this Oct, from what I've read tonight it looks like the question types are the same as in Bucks but that the format differs. The school's website helpfully tells me which practice papers are similar to one of the tests but nothing about the other! Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks in anticipation.....
pixiequeen

Re: May be moving, help please

Post by pixiequeen »

The school's website helpfully tells me which practice papers are similar to one of the tests but nothing about the other! Can anyone enlighten me?
Er, no. I don't think anyone really knows :D . What I can tell you is that there are two papers, sat on the same morning with a short break in the middle. One is 45 mins long and the other 50 mins long. One has 80 questions and the other 85. All the questions are from the Nfer 21 types except for apparently the odd one or two which will be 'new' ones, which none of the children will have experienced so you don't really need to worry about.

One test is usually heavier on the maths than the other, and no writing is allowed on the question paper - two sheets of rough paper are provided. One of the answer sheets is slightly different in that there are no clues on it - the children mark box A, B, C, D or E as their answer - there are no exact question/answer papers of this type around for practice.

I would say that if you have been practising for Bucks, then it would be worth giving the Glos. test a go, if your DS is game. Marling is always oversubscribed so I think an appeal would be your only chance of getting a place after the normal round. Applications to sit the test have to be in by 1st Oct so might be a good idea to send one in just in case :D

Hope that helps. Sorry for writing you an essay.

Pixiequeen
Bucksmumtoo

Post by Bucksmumtoo »

Thanks Pixiequeen,
Turns out I'm not doing to badly after all as that much I'd gleaned this evening! Still wondering what the "other" answer paper looks like. The rough paper/ no writing on the q paper is different from Bucks too. The tests are the w/e immediately after the 2nd Bucks test so DS might be persuaded to stay focused for a few days more with a bit of bribery. However the differences in the approach may make all the difference on the day (I don't want to introduce changes which may affect his Bucks prep as move isn't 100% certain) soI'm wondering what the process would be if we do nothing now and make a late application if and when the move is happening.
Aaargh, and I was doing so well at keeping calm in the face of the mounting panic here (first test 2 wks today)
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I'd be inclined to get your son in for the test at Marling as well.

The second paper is a very similar format to the first paper as far as I am aware - well the answer sheets are. The question types are different, and are new each year, partly so that all children have a more equal chance, rather than the first paper where there are the set number of question types (which can favour the tutored child).

Then, the only decision you'll have to make is if you should actually put Marling top of the preferences once you've seen the indicative results. You could even put it top of your Bucks preferences if you know you'll be moving there before August.

If you're not sure, then you will have to appeal on 'oversubscription' grounds, but will have plenty of time (April at least) before having to decide if you want to do so. If your son scores a good score - as in a pass that would have got a place had you put the school as first choice - then it's likely the panel will look quite favourably on the appeal.
Aaargh, and I was doing so well at keeping calm in the face of the mounting panic here (first test 2 wks today)
Err - me too.
Capers
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

It's certainly not impossible to get into Marling at a later date.

You're probably not looking as far ahead as this, but we moved to Stroud when DS1 was 13 (year 9) and got him a place at Marling purely on the basis that he had passed the 11+ in Kent and was transfering from anther grammar.

There were actually 5 new boys starting at the same time as him, so seems at times, there are plenty of places available.

Good luck.