and the Tommies pack arrives with indication of numbers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gypsypony

Re: and the Tommies pack arrives with indication of numbers

Post by Gypsypony »

If it's any help, last year 695 sat for SHS, 495 passed. I'd say about 450 actually took the test at the school on the morning. Obviously lots ticked all possible boxes, the intake is 120, they took 128. (an extra 2 in each tutor group). My DD ranked 177 got in on first round, as did another girl ranked in the 180's.
Good luck to all :D
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

If it's any help, last year 695 sat for SHS, 495 passed. I'd say about 450 actually took the test at the school on the morning.
Are you sure? :shock: :shock: Those seem very high figures. I can well imagine 695 girls ticked the box to be considered for SHS, but according to the information we had from the school approximately 300 girls sat the test at SHS last year. I was also under the impression that only the highest scoring 200 or 240 (can't remember which) passed, and were therefore given a ranking.

Can anyone else shed any light?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I remember hearing the Head speak a couple of years ago when he said that no boy who had passed and put Tommies first choice had ever not received a place. Sounds good. Unfortunately that rule of thumb was broken both this year (2010 entry) and last.
This was down to a change in the way they allocated a pass. Previously the DC had to get 105 in both papers and a combined score of 210 to get a pass. Both Tommies and Denmark Road found themselves in the position of being under-subscribed despite many children getting scores substantially higher than the required 210. I know DS2 would have failed under the old system despite getting a very respectable score in the second supposedly harder paper. So thank goodness for us it was changed.
Completely agree with that, My ds passed for Tommies but did not get place even thought it was specified as first choice on CAF.
Worried Ruby do you know what score they went down to eventually? I know initially it was 115 but does anyone know how far down the waiting list it went? I believe DR did go down to 210 in the end didn't it?
naivemum

Post by naivemum »

My friends son got in on 214 and was 4th on the waiting list after the second round. Don't know if it went lower. Hope this is of use!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now