How many Girls took the test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sabanna

How many Girls took the test

Post by Sabanna »

Hi folks

Found the forum about a week ago and having been lurking for the last few days, but finally couldn't resist asking.

DD1 took the test at Stroud on Saturday and I just wondered if anyone knew how many girls had taken it there, and also how many in total at the four possible locations?
cheltdad

Re: How many Girls took the test

Post by cheltdad »

Sabanna wrote:Hi folks

Found the forum about a week ago and having been lurking for the last few days, but finally couldn't resist asking.

DD1 took the test at Stroud on Saturday and I just wondered if anyone knew how many girls had taken it there, and also how many in total at the four possible locations?
A lot
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Some would have taken it just for 1 school, others for all four to hedge their bets(so they may not have been at Stroud but ticked the box anyway). Some dcs do it because they have been told to(and mark many answers incorrect-I know a few in this position,came out looking very happy!), others because they want to and some just because there is nothing to lose by trying!phew :)
You cannot read anything into the number of dcs actually sitting the test unfortunately, unless you actually know what is going on inside the heads of many 10/11 yr olds and I have enough trouble trying to work out my dcs thought processes without worrying about others. :oops: :wink:
All we can do now is wait and worry,and stop worrying and start worrying.......... :lol:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Sabanna

Post by Sabanna »

OK, I was only asking so that I could work out possible stats etc (sorry hobby of mine).

Thought that if I knew how many girls took it at each of the 4 possible locations and then worked out the number of possible places I could get an idea of her chances. I know Pates throws a wobbly on that because it's not an actual number of girls places, but was going to work the figure with several options to allow for that.

I've been told that the probability of her getting a place are good, but then having read some of the posts on here I'm not so sure.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Hi Sabanna

I don't think anyone actually knows figures for this year. Somewhere there is another thread which suggests it could be as low as 260 girls sitting Stroud High this year. Certainly it was below 300 last year and since there do seem to be genuinely less children in this school year. There are also some suggested previous years figures for Pates, but they range wildly from 1100 to 600.

When I collected my DD from Stroud High, although there were lots of parents etc. waiting, there didn't actually seem to be that many groups of children brought in to the hall (and my DD's was one of the last). I reckon no more than 10 and there were supposed to be 25 girls in each group. We might be able to work it out as they were all given a 'letter' according to which group they were in. My DD was 'J' - which would equate to being the 10th group. Possibly. Or this might be just wild speculation.

I do think that rumours of there being less children actually taking the test this year could well be true. Hope so anyway. If you do find out anymore info. it would be really interesting to know how many girls sat the test.

Pixiequeen
happychap

Post by happychap »

This might or might not be useful, but I have been looking at last year's figures - 2010 entry:

Denmark Road

Published Admission Number: 116
No. of pupils on roll Jan 2010: 832
Total preferences for Sept 2010: 320
No. of 1st preferences for Sept 2010: 149

Ribston

Published Admission Number: 114
No. of pupils on roll Jan 2010: 819
Total preferences for Sept 2010: 396
No. of 1st preferences for Sept 2010: 152

Stroud High

Published Admission Number: 120
No. of pupils on roll Jan 2010: 860
Total preferences for Sept 2010: 285
No. of 1st preferences for Sept 2010: 170

Pates

No. of pupils on roll Jan 2010: 980
Total preferences for Sept 2010: 287
No. of 1st preferences for Sept 2010: 226

Marling

No. of pupils on roll Jan 2010: 836
Total preferences for Sept 2010: 241
No. of 1st preferences for Sept 2010: 146

Tommie's

Published Admission Number: 108
No. of pupils on roll Jan 2010: 798
Total preferences for Sept 2010: 332
No. of 1st preferences for Sept 2010: 161

Crypt

Published Admission Number: 112
No. of pupils on roll Jan 2010: 771
Total preferences for Sept 2010: 393
No. of 1st preferences for Sept 2010: 166

Of course, this doesn't have anything to do with test results but is to do with allocation. If you are good with stats, you might be able to read something into it!
Milla

Post by Milla »

so even though Pate's state quite categorically (and if you don't get it, as my DS1 didn't, the letter makes it almost insultingly clear!!!) that only those in the top 160 need apply, still many more than that not only included it on their preferences but put it first. Interesting.
happychap

Post by happychap »

Yes! Not sure of the thinking behind all this till have to face up to it next week, but surely you would only put Pates first - or for that matter any of the schools - if you had a score that you thought would get you in.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I am surprised at how many do put it first butfrom my own experience last year even if DS2 hadn't passed for SRT last year I would still have put it first as I intended to appeal. As long as you have realistic back ups it doesn't make a difference

Just noticed how many put STR first even though only 250 passed. Suspect it is the same for all. Wouldn't be surprised the way it is all handled that some put them down without realising you have to sit a test. It's not that well publicised in so me parts of Glouc. :roll:
nearlythere

Post by nearlythere »

Would someone be able to explain Happychaps stats - thank you for these by the way!
What does Total Preferences mean? Is this the preference following the results, and given in to the LEA? Not the first, but all other prefernces ticked. Thanks.