2010 School / score / rank comparisons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

livviloo

Re: 2010 School / score / rank comparisons

Post by livviloo »

Hello I have just joined having browsed the forum in the 2-3 weeks before the test.

My DS (note boy here :D )stats are
Pates top 120
STR paper 1 128 paper 2 130 total 258
I will PM you emerald E

Thanks to all for your advice but as we were a bit last minute in our application I didn't have time/energy to join before the test!
MOOSHOO15

Post by MOOSHOO15 »

I am a bit confused!!! Two entries on this post state that one child scored 239 for STR and is Pates rank 138 and another scored 237 for STR and is Pates rank 134.

My DD2 scored 238 for HSFG, but is ranked at Pates 160.

How does it work?

I am incredibly happy with her HSFG result, but would like an explanation as to how they work out these rankings.

My daughter will be taking up a place at HSFG (assuming she gets in with this score) and so another place each for SHS and RH is freed up.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

You will get more than one child with the same score MOOSHOO plus DR scores are standardised differently to Tommies so can@t be matched.
Milla

Post by Milla »

All down to the differing cohorts, not only from school to school - both the ones you mention are boys where the marking does seem to be down this year - but within the month thing for standardisation. Plus, it says somewhere that Pate's is most interested, apparently, in the second paper - maybe the children marked higher up the waiting list slot secured higher marks in the second paper than the first thereby making them more attractive to Pate's. Sadly, at this level, with 1000 children (?) applying, there are going to be many children on the stepping stone of each mark and so many factors are going to be at play which we don't know about. Hence the level of speculation!
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Yes,the Pates ranked 134 and strs 237 is my boy...tbh I thought the same but concluded that it was down to age/cohort etc.
ATEOTD I dont "get" all the standardisation and differing ways then rank/score but i knew that with the Pates 160 there must be sooooo many "bright"children on similar scores that the split is so marginal,they have to do it somehow!
i could wish he were younger,had answered a question extra right etc but when we got into this whole 11+thing,we knew the "rules"so to speak even if we didnt understand them!
Its something Ive just decided to go with....ranked 134(or whatever)isnt necessarily "brighter"then 160 or even those not in the 160..its just how it is IMO.
Im just pleased he's done himself proud,as many of us are-Pates or not.

Milla-im interested in your comment about the second paper?what do you mean Pates are "more interested"in this?
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Its my ds1 on 239 str and 138 for Pates. From whats been said I think that both dcs have been very similar all the way through,and we are both proud of their achievements. I would say that there has been very little to choose between the pair of them and this is reflected in the different scores. I think that this year it has been incredibly close and I am glad that I dont have to make the final decision.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

turtleglos wrote:Its my ds1 on 239 str and 138 for Pates. From whats been said I think that both dcs have been very similar all the way through,and we are both proud of their achievements. I would say that there has been very little to choose between the pair of them and this is reflected in the different scores. I think that this year it has been incredibly close and I am glad that I dont have to make the final decision.
:D My feelings too...
OOC_dad

Post by OOC_dad »

Hi All,

We have just open the results letters, as our DD2 wanted to open them herself when she got back from school (much to the frustration of my wife).

GOOD NEWS !!!! She was in the 120 for Pates and also passed for SHS. :)

We are both over the moon !!! :D

We are planning for DD2 to take the Kendrick test (in Reading) as my DD1 is in that school.
MOOSHOO15

Post by MOOSHOO15 »

Thank you for your replies. We are over the moon with her result for HSFG and DD1 is currently in Year 8 there, so it makes sense. Will probably think about moving to Gloucester - bus fares will be extortionate for the two of them. Do you think there is a need for DD2 to take the Cleeve test as a fail-safe or do you think that a score of 238 is a fairly dead certainty for HSFG? I don't want to subject her to any more tests unless absolutely necessary. I know nothing is a god-given until allocation day in March, but DD1 scored 216 two years ago and I think they have gone down to 210 for the last couple of years.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Im NO expert MOO and,as you say,nothing is given till allocation day,but that sounds pretty good to me :DIm hoping the 237 is an almost cert Tommies too and I SO know what you mean re:the testing...we are all tested out!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now