Appeals?? :(

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nearlythere

Re: Appeals?? :(

Post by nearlythere »

Tolstoy - thanks I know you have already suggested we appeal for Pates and I keep changing my mind re less stressful route go for Sir Thomas Rich as DC1 got 131. Or appeal for Pates. Nothing happened on the day for our son to throw him, but evidence of something very strange is he is currently at school on a major scholorship, 99 NPR in Cat last year, 94 VR this year, and he did about 6 mock exams and always scored above 95%. If he had just missed it then that's understandable, but 131 was about 25% lower than normal for him. But I know fantastic result! We can provide all this evidence and have asked Pates for a remark. Other problem we have is that other parents may think we are delusional, but Tolstoy you suggested we appeal so we are going to do that and I feel better to be doing some action. Any other advice much appreciated. Good luck to all those going through the same process. Thoughts are with you.
nearlythere

Post by nearlythere »

Another question is if you go to Appeal, and even if you aren't successful, do they tell you your mark/give you a break down. I think we just need to know what happened and then can move on.
cairo

Post by cairo »

Nearlythere - Absolutely nothing wrong with asking for a re-mark or indeed with going to appeal if you feel you have a case.

Just to be clear though: those marks you have given for the CAT test (and I suppose the VR test) are NPR figures - National Percentile Ranks, not percentages achieved.

So, when you say your son got 99 NPR in his CAT, this means that out of the general population, 99% scored below him and 1% scored above. This equates to a mark of around 133/134 where the maximum mark is 140/141. Of course, the children sitting the Pates test are not equivalent to the general population, so it would be normal to perform less well when compared with them!

If the VR score is also a NPR, this means 6% of the population will have scored better than him and is probably equal to a mark of around 122/123 out of 140/141.

So please don't fret that by getting 231 in the Pates test (where the max mark is 240) he has performed 25% less well than normal - it's a fantastic score!

To answer your second question: yes, if you go to appeal you will get information on your child's raw scores.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by cairo on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tingting

Post by tingting »

Hi there, I was just wondering about remarking - does anyone know how often the computer-marked tests are subsequently proved wrong? I have a niggling feeling that ds didn't do as well as he should have - this could be (and probably is) purely wishful thinking; but I can't help thinking I should check it out.
nearlythere

Post by nearlythere »

Cairo - thats really helpful thanks. One question though is I understand re NPR etc. But if his Pates standardised score was 131 how can that be out of 140? A friend of his got 138 standardised but hasn't got on the waiting list for Pates. And I am hearing of 160 + scores. Which is what he was doing in mock practise. So that is what I meant re 25% down. Have I misunderstood? It's still a great score, and Tommies is a great school and we are celebrating that with him. But be good to know what happened on the day. Do you know re appealing what other evidence we can provide apart from CAT scores, Practise Paper, Scholorship details. ? Thanks very much.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

tingting wrote:Hi there, I was just wondering about remarking - does anyone know how often the computer-marked tests are subsequently proved wrong? I have a niggling feeling that ds didn't do as well as he should have - this could be (and probably is) purely wishful thinking; but I can't help thinking I should check it out.
Very rare for it to be wrong.

All the schools I've heard appeals for hand-mark the papers before the appeal to make sure that they're correct. In all the years I've been doing this, only once has there been an error (and it was an answer that should have been correct given as wrong). The school immediately told the parents that there had been an error and that they had to offer a place, even though it took them over PAN. Consequently the appeal was withdrawn.

Now it could be that a question was marked as correct when it was actually wrong, in which case a point would be deducted and a pass could turn into a fail! Never heard of that happening, but perfectly possible.

But just by going to appeal, the paper would be re-marked.
Capers
nearlythere

Post by nearlythere »

How much information do they give at Appeal on their papers. Do they tell you more than their raw scores? Thanks.
nearlythere

Post by nearlythere »

Can anyone help with appeals professionally? There seem to be quite a few on this site who know a lot about the subject matter and would appreciate some help.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

nearlythere, for the moment you can't do much about appealing as the school offers haven't been made yet. This happens on March the 1st and it at this point you will be invited to appeal if are not happy with the school that has been offered. There is an appeal section on the site and they will give you advice as there are people on there with a lot of experience.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

sally.russell
hsfg have taken under 210 on appeal before (less than your DD got) but all you can do is wait til March and appeal then. Gather evidence for your appeal, take advice (ask others on here - I am no expert) enlist support of your current head if helpful. It is very much going to be different each year depending on the particular circumstances of the school. I would be tempted on that score if you really want the school but have a back up and be prepared - I think it can be quite stressful. So close is probably the worst place to be - I feel for you. I know of a few disappointed DCs this year - I think it was tricky, maybe a bit different from alot of the practice papers.