Remark?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chaos

Remark?

Post by chaos »

does anyone know if/how you can ask for a manual remark for the glos. eleven plus exams?

thanks.
EmeraldE

Re: Remark?

Post by EmeraldE »

Yes, you can contact the Gloucester CC and request a remarking.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Our paper was re-marked last year as DS was 1 mark short of the Tommy's pass mark and I just had to make sure he had really not answered just one more question correctly (though of course 210 would not have got him in last year anyway). It was a very easy process and also very personal - no forms or letters, just a telephone call. The lady who did it was really lovely and told me (not sure I wanted to know) that because of his birthday early in the academic year, he would have been above the pass mark if his birthday was a couple of weeks later. She said that the difference had been just one question 'or possibly even less' [because of the standardisation by age]. The only consolation of this at the time was that we were able to tell him that he had probably answered more questions correctly than the boy who was showing off that he had reached the pass mark (birthday 10 months after DS) - so it did have a purpose, if only to lift his self-esteem. We decided not to appeal, which we might have had grounds to do when we discovered that DS had not worn his glasses for the test - they were in his bag and he was too scared to ask if he could get them. It is all behind us now and we are very happy with the outcome, but the remark was part of the process for us. One word of warning though - if the paper is re-marked and a lower score is revealed, the re-mark stands, which is worth a thought if you are looking at another GS.
nearlythere

Post by nearlythere »

Amber - we asked CC for a remark and they told us to email Pates, who said they will remark but not in a rush. I wonder if we should go back to this through the CC. Thanks.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I expect if the CC told you that then that is what you must do. We were interested in STRC, not Pate's, and at that time it was administered by the LEA, so they conducted the re-mark. It was done within 20 minutes of my asking for it. To be honest though, whether you wait 20 minutes or 20 days I doubt it will change the mark - the lovely lady who did mine said she had never seen one wrongly marked in all her born days. And she was at least 17.

Seriously, if it is just the Pate's angle you are interested in - then I guess that is for Pate's to deal with. Sorry.
chaos

Post by chaos »

Thanks for the info, I appreciate your help.