STRS/Crypt choice - non sporty boy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chilternpark

STRS/Crypt choice - non sporty boy

Post by chilternpark »

My DS has passed for both STRS and Crypt. He is very non sporty! But he does like drama and music. Can anyone give any advice on the Arts side of things at either STRS or Crypt?
gloucestermum

Re: STRS/Crypt choice - non sporty boy

Post by gloucestermum »

My DS is in year 9 at Crypt.Unfortunately,Music and Drama are his least favourite subjects-he prefers the sporting side! I think you will find that both schools are very sporty,and cater for the gifted sportsmen,but equally there are very many non sporty boys at both schools.
Crypt have an annual Arts Week and many drama performances-you will find details of the music department on their website under "subjects".Sorry I can't be more helpful,if it was an opinion on cricket you were after............. :)

GM
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Tommies has drama club once a week during lunch time plus orchestra and choir. It also has a film club unfortunately or fortunately depending on view point, showing mainly action PG's. typical teenage boy fodder I suspect.
cairo

Post by cairo »

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Crypt did Drama lessons as part of their curriculum in the first 3 years. (Taking the place of what would have been pure English lessons instead, presumably.) So that might suit your son.

Having said that, just because your DS is "non-sporty" now, doesn't mean he will stay that way. I would have said the same about my DS, but 6 weeks into Tommies he appears to have turned into a rugby fiend! :shock: Mainly I think due to the inspirational Games teachers he has encountered.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

That is correct-Crypt do indeed have drama lessons as part of the curriculum from years 7-9
mcs

Post by mcs »

Just come across this post, so sorry for being a bit slow. My son goes to Tommies. He is not terribly sporty, although he really enjoys rugby. He is in the school choir and has extra curricular piano lessons, both of which he enjoys. I believe there is a drama club, but don't know if it is poular with the lower age groups, as I have not in the year and a bit that my son has been going to Tommies seen many in the school productions. Having said that, the 6th form plays each year have been thoroughly entertaining (this year especially).

We also attended the school concert last year and were blown away by the talent. It was a wonderful evening. I particularly enjoyed the choir's performance of Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. In short, I would say that the arts seem to be well catered for, for those who are interested. I can also tell you that the fees for instrument tuition provided by the school (not private tutors) are subsidised for those that need it. And, if your son were to join the choir, he would get a day out as a treat (last year it was Alton Towers. This year believe it will be Thorp Park). An added incentive ;)
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

The choir at Crypt get an annual trip to Alton Towers too - I think that's the true reason my DS joined!

My DS isn't particularly sporty - but loves Art and Drama and I haven't heard any complaints from him. He is probably going to take Art as one of his GSCE options.

I think both schools cater for all types of skills - I would probably choose on the ease of travel or go and visit both schools again and get a feel for which may suit your DS better.

All the best with your decision.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Parismum

Post by Parismum »

Only just come back on here, so might not be relevent any more but - DS1 going to Tommies, have my fingers crossed he will meet yours there, as he lives for drama and doesn't know what to do with a ball! I did hear things had improved drama-wise with a new appointment for that subject, don't know how true it is.