Alternatives to Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CandyCat

Re: Alternatives to Grammar Schools

Post by CandyCat »

Blimey, and I thought the GS entrance exams were stressful :shock:
Amber

Post by Amber »

My DS won an academic scholarship, and the thing I would say is that we felt the judgement was based on very much more than the narrowness of the GS test. He was judged as a person - his interests, his ability to hold a conversation, his opinions on different things. So actually it was much less stressful for us than the GS test which only tested his ability to do VR. He did not do a mock interview and just talked about things he really enjoyed - no pretending his hobby was differential calculus and no saying his hero was Pythagoras. I think they look for an interesting little person who is also quite clever, or has the potential to be.
CandyCat

Post by CandyCat »

That's really reassuring to hear Amber. Can I ask which independent school you're referring to?
Amber

Post by Amber »

You can ask, CC, but one of the conditions imposed on me by my DC is that I would not ever lead to them being identified on this forum; and that includes naming the school. Sorry. Co-ed, in Gloucestershire. I do know the scholarship exams and interviews were similar at another one too - not because we took them, but know someone else who did.
CandyCat

Post by CandyCat »

My sincerest apologies Amber - I completely undertand, and I should've realised :oops:

Your comments are really encouraging though so we're off to explore new possiblities. Many thanks :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

CandyCat wrote:My sincerest apologies Amber - I completely undertand, and I should've realised :oops:

Your comments are really encouraging though so we're off to explore new possiblities. Many thanks :D
No need to apologise: I am a funny old thing and live in fear of being outed! :? My kids would kill me.
CandyCat

Post by CandyCat »

Errrrrr, I think I've just realized who DS inherited his "not very street-wise" gene from :oops:

You (actually your children!) are right though, I love the fact that people are so honest on this forum and posters do need to preserve their anonymity in order to do that.

Thanks to the great advice, have been proactive and booked DS to go and take a look at a few local indies. He's obviously heart broken at the prospect of missing a few school lessons again. Not. :roll:
moved

Post by moved »

Hi CC can you manage Cheltenham? St. Edwards gave a friend's DC a scholarship after DC had not managed the 11+. Cannot say year or gender as I'm not sure if the scholarship would identify the child.

Edit: Forgot to say that she thought the process was really quite friendly too.
CandyCat

Post by CandyCat »

Thanks Moved. Cheltenham would be do-able, but unfortunately, as its a Catholic School, DS wouldn't be eligible. Such a shame, as that really would be ideal :(
Amber

Post by Amber »

If you look on the board outside St Edward's, it advises that it takes all faiths. I think fewer than 20% of children are actually Catholics. I think it tends to be state catholic schools which insist on one being of the Roman persuasion.