Independent/State Preparation for Pates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiredmum

Re: Independent/State Preparation for Pates

Post by tiredmum »

magwich2 wrote:I do not know what preparation people think private schools can do that could not be done equally well at home.
BUT they have never done anything that any parent could not do at home even on a limited budget. So please do not imagine that any private school is doing anything underhand or especially clever to prepare children for the 11+.
!
i agree prep can be done at home but what about those dc's that are bright but do not have the parents that care enough about their childs education to prepare them at all? Like amber said GS super-selection is more invidious in pretending to be open to all. - when it is soo not
Amber

Post by Amber »

tiredmum wrote:
magwich2 wrote:I do not know what preparation people think private schools can do that could not be done equally well at home.
BUT they have never done anything that any parent could not do at home even on a limited budget. So please do not imagine that any private school is doing anything underhand or especially clever to prepare children for the 11+.
!
i agree prep can be done at home but what about those dc's that are bright but do not have the parents that care enough about their childs education to prepare them at all? Like amber said GS super-selection is more invidious in pretending to be open to all. - when it is soo not
(my red in tiredmum's quote) - it's not only about caring enough - it's about knowing enough.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

(my red in tiredmum's quote) - it's not only about caring enough - it's about knowing enough.
Or even having the motivation when the odds appear to be stacked against you.
Perhaps if we put our collective(and in my case tired)brains together we can find a solution. :D
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Sadly the 11+ exam is not just enough about the exam itself. If parents do not care enough or know enough about the education system they are rather unlikely to deliver the kind of child the grammar school system will benefit. The whole thing is a little bit more than just passing one exam. If one, as a parent, is unable to bring one's child up properly, they are ,at best, unlikely to fully benefit from the grammar school, and, at worst, likely to undermine the learning of others. I know this is controversial but the grammar school experience is also a social one and it does extend to a family's aspirations for a child as well as just which school it attends. If it were otherwise then this forum would probably not exist.
It is clear that there willalways be exceptions but children from verybad homes will frequently not be able to truly benefit from the grammar school system unless their parents are prepared to support them, not just academically but socially as well
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Much biting of tongue :evil:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
mad?

Post by mad? »

turtleglos wrote:Much biting of tongue :evil:
ditto :D
mad?
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

turtleglos wrote:
Much biting of tongue

ditto

PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

turtleglos wrote:Much biting of tongue :evil:
Tongue bitten by clenched teeth
Amber

Post by Amber »

Maybe we should start a thread on eugenics. Always best to nip a problem in the bud?
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

uuuuhum uuuhum
(coughing loudly )