Tuition Fee Total Spend (+ Survey)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

How much did you spend in total

Nothing
4%
Up to £50
16%
£51 - £100
10%
£101 - £250
18%
£251 - £500
18%
£501 - £750
12%
£751 - £1000
6%
£1001 - £1500
6%
£1501 - £2000
2%
More than £2000
8%

Total votes: 50

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Tuition Fee Total Spend (+ Survey)

Post by capers123 »

Shaann wrote:

Hi, have not been on here for ages but have recently been looking in for help/advice.

Have dc at gs no tuition no probs.Now dc2 has failed this years test,no reason why,no less ability etc.....No decent comp in area.Have already seen the travel debate on here!!!! Our best chance of a better comp(that we could get a place in as thats another issue to contend with!) is 45 min bus ride.It seems too far for us :(

Have read on here that its not easy or common to pass without paid tuition.Have dc3 on the horizon of this awful `game` and so need advice.

How much in your estimations would it set me back to get a child the required amount of tuition to the required level with a better chance of a pass.I know every child/tutor is different but a rough figure would be really useful.

Thanks
Capers
capers123

Re: Tuition Fee Total Spend (+ Survey)

Post by capers123 »

Then MumInTewkes wrote:

We probably only (only!)spent @ £300 plus a few £'s for downloads,DIY books etc.
He has tuition through the summer with a couple of mocks costing @ £15 each..total no more than £500 max. I guess?
The tuition did nothing more than sharpen his timing and help us and him realise that he was on course-that bit was invaluable though,along with the tutors knowledge of the system alongside the fabby advice here of course!
I totally think you can DIY-I just wasnt confident enough this first time.
Im guessing the bar is constantly being raised re how high the scoring is going and how tough it is now to pass let alone be in the "golden"160 at Pate's.
We are just a normal household with (thankfully)a bright,driven and eager ds1-he was easy to "coach"and I managed it,even though I personally cant really do VR :oops: !
HTH
Capers
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I have locked the previous thread,as requested!

GM
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I've cast my vote, although I'm in Kent. It equates to 1 x 1hour lesson per week for a year.
shaann

Post by shaann »

Sorry :oops: As you can read from my post I was not asking how much you all personally spent on your dc`s, just wanted a rough idea of how much it would cost me to get to the dizzy heights of a pass. Sorry to upset anyone :oops:

This poll is a better idea though....didn`t think of doing this.Thanks
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I spend about £100 on the papers and books but if I was to be paid for the time I spend teaching her then it would be £2000+ :roll:. Was it cost effective doing DIY? A big NO if I draw my salary :D
Impossible is Nothing.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

sherry_d wrote:I spend about £100 on the papers and books but if I was to be paid for the time I spend teaching her then it would be £2000+ :roll:. Was it cost effective doing DIY? A big NO if I draw my salary :D
Good point. We have no teaching ability, so could not do any self-tutoring of the children.
Capers
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

My abilities were rubbish though Capers, she didnt pass. :?
Impossible is Nothing.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I tried self tutoring,realised I was rubbish and paid someone. How has someone spent nothing :shock: ? Did they already have papers, ink plain paper,pencils(we must have bought about 300 at least)rubbers etc. Please tell me the secret,it would be useful for next time around :D
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

I have no teaching abilities either(only have one GCSE :lol: ..well two actually as they are Eng Lit/Lang..a "A"though :wink: ...was far too busy in my youth for exams :oops: !)but really enjoyed the DIYing I did do(@4 mth worth just here and there)as I said,luckily,all I needed to provide was the raw materials,a stopwatch and the acess to vids showing technique when he struggled,along with copious amounts of encouragement and cash incentives :D
I honestly used to look at certain questions and not have a clue but calmly used to say "work it through,dont panic"...and,thankfully,he did-I think I was lucky though!
The tutoring was the i's dotted and t's crossed for us.Oh and we were getting to the shouty,argumentative point too...