Why is Pate's so sought after?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
haeckel

Re: Why is Pate's so sought after?

Post by haeckel »

Hi Milla,

All the data are from the BBC tables, just organized in two different ways. I have edited my post to try to make it clearer.

STRS did worse than HSFG in both results tables, though they are very similar.
Last edited by haeckel on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Milla

Post by Milla »

oops, sorry, eyes blurred over at all the initialising - saw SHS and thought STRS. Durr.
Quite happy with it anyway and he's far too gorgeous to shove in a skirt and let loose at SHS so am happy with him left at Tommy's!
These tables often boil down to a few kids at the top or bottom of the results skewing the results and the rest doing fine. At primary, for instance, the cruelty of their being 33 in the class/year meant that each child counted for 3% and we knew exactly who it was who was "dragging down" our unattainable 100% to 97%!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I suppose we have to factor in those dratted boys that will drag down Pates's scores :roll: No wonder they were keen to level up the B/G ratio this year :lol: .

Perhaps Tommies should start letting girls in in y7 but preferably not before I get to the end of my lot, unless the girls school intend letting in boys to keep up the number of spaces, but then why would they :wink:
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

The E Bacc makes interesting reading for the grammar schools too - Pates comes out way ahead and Marlng is relatvely low. I wonder what is skewing the results - maybe the boys are not doing a 'humanity'?

Did not notice STR, HSFG etc - did anyone else?
Milla

Post by Milla »

the head at Tommy's last night was very scathing about the E Bacc. It boils down to Maths, Eng, a science, a lang (MFL or any other) and a humanity. He could not have been more dismissive. Well, apart from about ICT, that is.
Very interesting evening - on GCSE options.
InquisitiveMum

Post by InquisitiveMum »

Dear All,

Many thanks for posting feedback on this topic. It seems there is little to choose between Pate's and SHS at an academic level - the key decision factors for us are likely to be co-ed/mixed and the commuting distance/convenience, provided DD clears the exam.

Judging from the threads on this forum, I am guessing it is already late in the process to initiate 11+ preparation and tutor engagement. Could someone advise on reputable tutors around Cirencester or Cheltenham?

Thanks,
InquistiveMum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now