Advice for 2nd son

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lassett

Advice for 2nd son

Post by lassett »

Hi everyone, I may well be missing a sticky or something about this so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful thank you.

2nd son will be taking the test this year and while we've been practising at home and getting pretty decent scores I'm wondering if the papers we've been using are a little easier than others. What papers would you recomment please? He's worked his way through the Walsh VR books and we need to get some more. I've read so many things from different places that my mind is all a jumble.

After the close call with 1st son this year I'm not sure I can take it happening again so better preparation is vital for my nerves! Strangely enough it's vocab which is letting him down (complete opposite to 1st son), the rest he is very good at with only a couple of silly mistakes. We're trawling through classics (hard work!) to improve his vocab so I am hoping that will help.

Any help would be lovely thank you. :)
mum23*

Re: Advice for 2nd son

Post by mum23* »

If you look in the sections at the top on VR, maths and English there are some good tips and you can download Patricia's vocab list from this site. I have made little books with close in meaning, opposites and compound words from the various papers. Free Rice has a vocab section too. "Just William" books have quite challenging vocab but are quite fun.
muminTewkes

Re: Advice for 2nd son

Post by muminTewkes »

Vocab was ds1's downfall too-trouble was he really wasnt into reading the classics :?
The Tutors vocab builder was excellent though and REALLY helped(he is going to Pates so must have done the trick :wink: )
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now