Crypt place, anyone from Cheltenham taking up offer?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
capers123

Re: Crypt place, anyone from Cheltenham taking up offer?

Post by capers123 »

livviloo wrote:I would be lovely to see a one line statement along the lines of "xxxPrimary school is delighted that this year we had x children get accepted for Pates, y children for STR, z children for Crypt etc etc"
Not sure that's a good idea. After all, it implies that the school is pleased that the children have worked hard for a test, when in fact the 11+ is an IQ test. Should a school be pleased that its intake in reception happens to consist of bright children? It would also imply that the school is not delighted that the bright-but-not-passed, the average and the less able are going to other schools.

What about the children who pass the 11+ but choose not to go to a Grammar, but to the catchment comp? There are some from DD's school who do that, partly because the comp suits the childs interests & attitudes better? Would the school still say it was delighted?

I wouldn't mind a statement saying which schools the previous Y6 had gone to, including the comps and even special-needs schools. In fact, I seem to remember DD's primary saying just that either in the literature or newsletter. There's at least 6 schools that the school normally has leavers going off to.

It's more to me about the primary being delighted that children will be going to the most appropriate school for their IQ, ability & interests, where they will be able to flourish. That's what the 11+ is about and although it's a pretty crude way of deciding it's all we have.
Capers
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

I think the point is about what is celebrated by schools.
For example it is acceptable to celebrate sporting acheivement, although I would argue that this is also due to innate talent and not because some kids have been trained to the nth degree. After all a school who happens to get some kids with sporting talent at reception is not shy to publicise their acheivements in its newsletter. Maybe schools shouldn't speak about any achievement in order to remain fair.
My point was more that schools, and consequently children, seem more ready to celebrate sporting achievement over academic and I don't feel this is balanced. Maybe not all schools are the same.
tewksmumoftwo

Post by tewksmumoftwo »

liviloo - what a fab idea - it would be great if primary school put academic achievements in the weekly newsletter!
My son was the only one in his school to even sit grammar tests this year!
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

http://www.cryptschool.org/sciencefair2011.html

Crypt school science fair-ideal opportunity to have a look round for your DS's!
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

gloucestermum wrote:http://www.cryptschool.org/sciencefair2011.html

Crypt school science fair-ideal opportunity to have a look round for your DS's!

....and perhaps arrange to meet up with forum buddies.....
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
myangelpie

Post by myangelpie »

Yep we will be attending the Science evening tomorrow night. How will we recognise each other :lol:

Red carnation? :lol:
tewksmumoftwo

Post by tewksmumoftwo »

We are total newbies - I'm wearing plum coloured suede boots and a White and light blue ski jacket. No carnation or bowler hat!
Tom prob in his gloucester rugby tracksuit!
Hoping to meet some new people!!!
:-)
myangelpie

Post by myangelpie »

Just recieved in the post today the application/prices/timetable for the Cheltenham to Ribston/Crypt bus service. FYI (Express Travel 01452 550612) £1287 payable over 10 monthly installments. Applications have to be back before 30th April to secure a place. When I last spoke with 'Bob' about 3 weeks ago he said they had been contacted by 25 parents already. Brilliant to see so many kids from Cheltenham heading over to Gloucester!

Anyone else taking a place at Crypt? I have met two new parents already at the science evening and know of about another 4 boys from Cheltenham connected to football etc taking up places.

Still excited and again all we hear about Crypt is it's fantastic and comments like 'shrewd choice' - Cant wait for the next open day/night/uniform buying.

Roll on September!
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Crypt school are having a May Fayre on Saturday May 7th from 11am until 3pm if anybody is interested in having another nose around!!

GM
myangelpie

Post by myangelpie »

Yes we will be joining you plus tewkesmumof2 also going, thanks for the reminder, it's really kind of you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now