How much movement is there likely to be after allocation day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Re: How much movement is there likely to be after allocation

Post by capers123 »

Gypsypony wrote:Just to add, that there's been movement within Yr7 quite recently! One girl left and was replaced by another on the waiting list in my DD's form, another form has had the same happen. I think it's definitely worth going to appeal, but I think your DD stands a good chance of just moving up the list in 2 weeks :D
The school / LEA can't replace a child who has left until the numbers are back down to PAN (ie 120 or less for SHS). However, if a parent 'phones up the school regularly to see if there has been any children leaving from the year, then immediately puts in an appeal once a child has gone, then assuming they had passed the test, rather than appealing for a non-qual, AND they were the only parents doing this, it should be a formality.

If the school has been operating successfully with (say) 128 pupils, and they suddenly have one less, then they really woun't have much of an argument to say that adding another pupil will prejudice the education of those 127 children. But beacause it's over PAN, only an appeal panel can allow that child a space.

This is even more likely in Y8 or 9, as by then a few girls have moved away, and there's often the odd space. You can only appeal once per school year unless you have substantial new evidence.

To the children, though, what GypsyPony's daughter says is correct. Unless it's my DD2 listening in and complaining that it was an appeal and not off the waiting list (almost as pedantic as me). Hope it's not a family trait, through my grandfathers side ;-)
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now