Airthrie advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
livviloo

Airthrie advice

Post by livviloo »

Hello all, Not strictly grammar related question but here goes...

My DD(Y4) is one of those quiet, reliable members of the class which has resulted in her being often overlooked at her current primary school.She has no confidence and it just feels like her light has gone out. Add to that the school imho has some significant issues with behaviour management, or lack of, and she is, in her own words, uncomfortable about how the children treat each other and the playground toys and equipment. She denies anyone bullying her and the teacher says she hasn't seen anything. On top of this in the last year I have had to explain the meaning of several choice words and phrases to her, but I guess you could say this happens everywhere.

So we have thought, DS moving on next year, maybe time for her to go too. I have looked around and the primary schools near us are pretty full, well actually they are full. Richard Pates has 4 on the waiting list already and they said she has no chance and will not even take her name. I am not keen on an Indie school with a senior school as we would be likely to head grammar or comp for her. (unless a rich uncle says they will pay for the ladies college! oh hang on I don't have a rich uncle)

So this leaves Berkhampstead, wrong side town for me and Airthrie, quite convenient location. But I know no one who has ever sent their kids there and so it feels like a leap into the unknown.

We are lucky in that in view of situation granny says she will pay 2 years fees for one child.(current school state)
EmeraldE

Re: Airthrie advice

Post by EmeraldE »

No personal experience but I noticed on their perspectus that several parents have provided their contact details should anyone wish to chat about the school.

EE
myangelpie

Post by myangelpie »

Hi livviloo,

just to say I have pals who send their kids to all the schools you mention. RP, BH and Airthrie. Would you like some numbers/names to chat to about how they like their schools etc? drop me a text. x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Prospectus looks good and yes there are some contacts who have send children there (and are presumably happy with the school). Looks like a good type of school (indie primary with no linked senior so no pressure to go there) .

Obviously proud of its scholarships and selective places, but what a shame putting "various comprehensives" on the bottom of the destination list.... (kids like to look at lists and say "that's me..").

Have you been to have a look? You will very quickly know if you like the atmosphere, go during a working school day - it will all be there, the way the staff greet each other , the greeting you get, the happiness for parents to see the school warts and all, the kids being trusted to do things eg fetching someone , kids responding well to adults and looking happy and bouncy, a buzz (not a noise, but not quiet either..), does the head hide under the table? - :lol: :lol: ( - joke for the kids at one school I saw, kids adored her and atmosphere was great- can't say same for her replacement)

My only concern wherever you go (and once you can't do much about) is that leaving at the end of year 4 and doing just years 5 and 6 is not ideal. It will take a child a bit of time to settle in in year 5(hopefully not that long), get in tune with the way they work etc then the entrance exams are at the beginning of year 6...... I have heard heads say that joining private primaries after year 4 can be difficult both for the child and the other kids in the class..
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

thank you for the replies. Time to do some thinking...